Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
howling

Do any of you have Labs that howl? While I have plenty that snore, the howling is unique to the last litter I bred. It is not a problem but I was just wondering if this is common. Thanks

Re: howling

Our pack howls when we pull in the driveway. It lasts about one or two minutes, until we enter the attached garage, which is also our kennel. Then we get silence except for the tails wagging against whatever they hit. We laugh our heads off, they actually sing in harmony, and would put any pack of howlers to shame.

Our crew "sings" along from time to time - no known reason though.

Yes, it seems to run in my chocolate line.. thankfully they seem to limit it to first thing in the am when I'm getting them out of their crates!

We have coyotes that occasionally we see near our house. They are shy and never come very close. One night, we had a bitch in season sleeping in our bedroom. In the middle of the night, she awakened us with her eerie version of Labrador howling and never repeated it...the call of the wild. That was the first and last time any of my dogs have howled.

In South Salem, NY there is a wolf conservation center that I recently visited. We solicited howling by howling ourselves. We were told not to bark because wolves use barking when they want to warn each other of some danger.

Three times a day without fail. More when bithes in season :)

No reason. Stops suddenly.

Younger ones seem to have learned to join in from our two older boys. I am seeing right now that it gets my 3-week old litter going too!

We laugh, but it sort of rattles strangers to dogs.

Howling is a joyful reunion ritual in canids, I love it, it really elicits a visceral response!

I'm so jealous of the howling labs, but should a purebred lab realy howl? I don't think it's in the breed standard! {LOL}

My PB never howled, but her "sister" a rescued lab mix howled when her pack left her behind. Her pack was me and our lab, and I never heard her do it until my husband called me at the vets office for me to listen to her howling over the phone!!

I only had one Labrador who actually Howled.
The only time he did it was when the small town near where we used to walk in the early morning tested their Fire and Emergency Sirens.

Something about the pitch or sound of those Sirens going off, always made him throw back his head and Howl even while he was walking.

Only time he ever did it.

Yes, all mine howl! We say to our oldest girl Rose, "Sing" and then we do a Waaaaooooooooooo, and she starts off and all others join in!! Love it!

I remember reading somewhere that they do it to call their pack in... so I take it as a compliment that they consider us in their pack and sing along!