Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NDR: web tablet

I am considering getting a tablet device. If you have one, what do you like/dislike? What would you like as a feature that yours doesn't have? What do you use it for the most?

Re: NDR: web tablet

We have an Ipad2 and absolutely love it. Perfect for traveling and doubles as my kindle. Very easy to use while sitting on the couch, etc and the length of time between charging is amazing.

How do you deal with not being able to run a flash application (video, flash website, etc.) - I have a hard enough time living with that on my iphone . I would love an iPad but not being able to use it for photography application and websites that capitalize on Flash, well that's a deal breaker for me.

Which tablet would you go with, or do you have one that you like Greg?

Shelley, I don't have a tablet yet - and lack of flash is the primary reason for the iPad. I am also not totally sold on the idea of buying anything else that's Windows driven. I guess I'm just a fuss budget... LOL!

Just as an aside, Gregg, the Ipad, like the Macintosh, is not windows based, but still on a proprietary operating system from Apple. One of my "negatives" in shopping is getting anyone's "closed" system where fixes and applications may be limited. I have been looking at Android based devices because they are open-source systems. I think my "wants" are running a few months (years?) ahead of what is available. Oh, well... if we weren't patient how did we ever become dog breeders

Thanks Greg! I use, and love Firefox, so maybe I could do the ipad with Firefox and be OK.

Greg- You can download a different browser (ex- google chrome or IE) and that helps(safari is very limiting as you've found out). That should give you the ability to download flash player through that browser.

I shot off a message to my computer professional friend who is a PC/Apple guru to ask about the Flash issue. Here is what he wrote back.

"There is NO Flash for the iOS devices (iPad, iPhone & iPod). Steve Jobs *hates* flash, so it is unlikely that Apple will every allow the buggy as hell Flash on them."

My biggest complaint with my iPad2 is not having flash. I still use it and like it more than I thought I would.

The computer guru at our office says to use Firefox and she emailed me this link to get flash on your i-pad. Good luck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3beLT1xfg0

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about flash and the apple devices. I will be getting a new phone later this year or early next and that would be a negative in considering an Iphone5.

I think I want something smaller and more portable than most of the big tablets - a 7 inch or so. Anyone have one of those?

I LOVE my iPad as I sit here on vacation with family in London, England! Great for someone who is not a computer nerd & super easy to use. Staying in a private flat near Kensington Gardens & there is wifi here. Wonderful to lay in bed & watch movies & listen to favorite music genre via pandor.com with my Bose headsets. But this is not a total substitute for a desktop. And it's fabulous for making the print & text & photos larger for "older" eyes by simply "stretching"!

Sony now has the two tables, one currently available and one coming soon.
You may be interested in the S2 , as it is foldable and reduces it's size.

http://www.reviewsongadgets.com/584/sony-tablet-s-3g-reviews-and-full-tablet-specifications/
Displays with the browser, it is inbuilt with Adobe Flash Player. < it's pre-installed on it.

The clam style will be a smaller foldable version. WAYYYY COOL....I've had the chance to play on both of them, and have fun using it as a remote control too for almost ANY device.