Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hemostats

where is the best place to get surgical grade hemostats? I have seen some reviews on some that are not surgical grade, and I want some good ones.

Mine are old, and I need a new set. I want stainless steel-not the cheap colored ones. I have a pair of them, and the paint chipped off.

Re: hemostats

breeder
where is the best place to get surgical grade hemostats? I have seen some reviews on some that are not surgical grade, and I want some good ones.

Mine are old, and I need a new set. I want stainless steel-not the cheap colored ones. I have a pair of them, and the paint chipped off.

I've never had any with paint on them. I'm not sure what you mean.

My first hemostats my vet gave me as a gift brand new. The next he ordered and sold it to me at his cost.

I think I used KV Vet to try a straight hemostat about 14 years later. They all look brand new today and are stainless steel. I didn't know they made them of any other material or with paint on them.

Try a surgical supply website or KV Vet.

As a veterinarian with strong interest in soft tissue surgery, I have to admit that my favorite instruments are probably Miltex instruments. They aren't cheap, but I have definitely found that you get what you pay for. Whatever brand you choose, look for German stainless (not made in Pakistan), carbide inserts also help as usually they can be replaced if there is damage.

breeder

Yeah, mine are all burnt on the tips. Oh wait. You mean for clamping umbilical cords?? Never mind.

Your vet...S/he should be able to get you any that you want/need. I've had mine for years~ Different sizes/shapes, curved/straight too for whatever....Back when I was doing dew claws, I even have the little curved ones for that. I've never even seen colored ones so didn't know they came that way.

Julie Langhans
As a veterinarian with strong interest in soft tissue surgery, I have to admit that my favorite instruments are probably Miltex instruments. They aren't cheap, but I have definitely found that you get what you pay for. Whatever brand you choose, look for German stainless (not made in Pakistan), carbide inserts also help as usually they can be replaced if there is damage.

I know Julie has a great reputation as a vet. She works with even the smallest of animals including birds. I would absolutely go with her advice.

Even good metal choke collars for obedience classes are made of excellent grade, German stainless. Julie knows what she's talking about especially in the animal-medical field.

If you purchase good hemostats you'll never need to again. Good luck.

We use Miltex instruments exclusively.....in 23 years we have had to replace less than a handful of Miltex instruments (usually scissors) They are excellent quality!

It depends on the application for which you would use them for.
Hemostats come in a variety of stainless steel grades, sizes, curved, not curved.

If you are looking to do something like tie of the umbilical cord while it is clamped, the recommendation would be different than another application.

German instruments are by far the best in class.

Miltex, Fine Science tools are the best vendors for instruments.

http://www.miltex.com/prodinfo/surgical/surgical.aspx

http://www.finescience.com/

keep in mind that once you invest in a nice instrument, you should take care of it after use. I agree that your veterinarian should be able to find something to fit your needs.