Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Linda Oldham

Linda, Barbaree Labradors, my long time friend has passed away this morning......Lisa(her daughter)will let me know details as to her funeral, etc. I will pass that on.

Re: Linda Oldham

Sad to hear. I remember her as a presence on a long ago lab board through Yahoo I believe. I didn't even realize at the time how influential she was to the breed.

Prayers to her family.

My sympathy to her family. Linda was a no nonsense woman and I respected her for that. I was introduced to Linda when I first got into labs and hunt tests. The other day I was looking through photos and came upon one of her stacking the sire to my very first show/field bitch when she and Enid went out to do the breeding.
So many memories.
Rest in Peace Linda.

Sherry, I'm so sorry to read of Linda's passing... my condolences on the loss of your good friend. Please pass along my sympathy to her daughter as well.

I am very sad to read this. We became 'web friends' through my choice of stud dog.

I will miss her.

Rest well, Linda.

I, too, am very saddened by this news.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of Linda's passing. I only met her once, but I exchanged many good emails with her when we were both on Lab-L. A good woman who cared deeply about Labradors. I will miss her wisdom.

I am sorry to hear this, Linda was always a strong presence in the breed, especially in the northeast, as breeder and also judge. My condolences to her family and close friends.

I'm sorry to hear about Linda- a long-time proponent of keeping the working credentials in the conformation Labrador.

Just as you were, you will always be
Someone special in my memory.

So very sorry for both her family, and you on the loss of your friend.

I remember watching Linda show her dogs years ago at Potomac and Mid-Jersey. She almost always not only put Championships on, but many obedience titles, too.

It's sad to see so many of the "old guard" passing along.

Rest well, Linda.

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

I was just thinking about Linda, how helpful and genuinely supportive she was to so many of us just starting out in the breed years ago on Lab L. What a loss for the Labrador world. My condolences. Anne

Was very saddened to hear of Linda's passing. She was an icon in the Labrador breed and contributed to same in so many ways.

It is sad to see another of our extended Labrador community passing.

Linda was no nonsense, what you see is what you get, loved our breed, and was always willing to answer a question you might have.

She will be missed. My condolences to her family and close friends. Godspeed Linda!!

Twelve years ago,I got to know Linda Oldham through my friend Enid Bloome, Winterset. When Enid passed away, Linda and I continued our email conversations. As with Enid,I could always turn to Linda for advice and I certainly trusted her opinions and learnt a lot from her. Linda was an honest person with tons of integrity and compassion. And she had a lot of humor too:-)
Through Linda I also got to know Sherry, and for that I'm very thankful. Life will go on, but it'll never be the same. I just read through all my emails from Linda, and they made me smile.
I sincerely hope that Linda will receive bunches of roses for her funeral. Roses were her favourite flowers.
God's Speed, Linda - and thank you so much. I know your beloved Labradors will greet you at Rainbow Bridge

Such sad news. We became "internet" friends and I always respected what she had to say. I was just thinking about her this weekend. God speed, Linda, you will be missed.

I just heard from a mutual friend.
I am so saddened by this. Just had an email conversation with her last month and she didn't let on that she was ill, or maybe this was sudden. I don't know details.
I will miss her wisdom and her wit.
Having gotten to know her through some email lists and her being kind enough to invite me to the Nationals in 2003 @ St.Louis. She didn't really know me that well, but opened her heart to me after my husband passed away.
She was an amazing person and I'm honored to have called her a friend.
Godspeed Linda.

Sarita

I also owe Linda a huge debt of gratitude for all the assistance she gave me when I was first starting out. She was an amazing woman with encyclopedic knowledge of Labradors, and she was always kind enough to mentor anyone who needed help in person or via e-mail. I will always be grateful that I got to know her, and I hope she's rubbing elbows with John Wayne and petting all of her beloved Labs in heaven as I type.

Barb Roosevelt

I'm am so saddened for the loss of my friend Linda. We used to talk and email for hours over pedigrees, structure and type....

Right after I heard of her passing this afternoon I was driving through a shower. I glanced up and saw the sun shining through the clouds and drove through 2 beautiful rainbows.

Linda is finally running with her boy Pilgrim and all her other lovely dogs...Godspeed Linda...you will be sorely missed...

Sue Puff

Oh Barbara~ You made me smile w/ your mention of John Wayne : ) For those that don't know, she was a huge fan and her dogs were named that way too. She'd call and I'd ask her, "what cha been doin'" and she'd tell me the latest JW film she had watched.....

I am so warmed by reading all the posts today. I knew she had touched many of you. She was just that way and one of her many great attributes. She was truly one grand woman and my only regret is that I didn't get to have her wonderful self in my life for years sooner than I did.

I am very saddened to learn of Linda's passing. All of the above posts were wonderful to read and so true of Linda. She was one of the first Lab people I met when I got my first Lab, such a long time ago. Her knowledge of pedigrees was unsurpassed; she seemed to know everything about all of them. Initially, I knew her from obedience -- we used to go to the Armory in Danbury on Saturday mornings for lessons and, afterward, we would get together at a friend's house and talk. I always looked forward to it. She was very supportive, a wonderful friend and I will miss her. Yes, and she loved John Wayne -- as someone else noted -- and her Pilgrim was a favorite. She bred some beautiful dogs. She was a tremendous credit to our breed. God speed dear friend.
Hallie

Another loss of an icon - how many have gone from us this year? Linda bred under the Barabee prefix and most folks these days don't recognize it, or that of her buddy Enid Bloom (Winterset) and many others that go way back. Too bad - there's a lot back there to learn from. Godspeed, Linda...

I'm sorry to hear of Linda's passing. She was a font of knowledge and will be missed by all in the Labrador community.

My sincerest sympathies to Linda's family. I was saddened to learn of her premature death. Linda was such a pillar of the Labrador community. As others have observed she was no nonsense, common sense and generous with her time and knowledge. I especially enjoyed her dry wit. Godspeed Linda, I know your wonderful dogs who preceded you will be waiting to greet you.

The Northeast Labrador community has lost another longtime dedicated breeder. My introduction to the breed was through obedience. That's how I met Linda. She always had multipurpose dogs. . . and for that reason, she strongly held to her belief that a dog not only had to look pretty but had to be built correctly.
How many of you remember Linda at the Kay Reilly classes in Danbury and Ridgefield or Ruth Ormisto's classes in Brewster? Those were such wonderful times.

Godspeed Linda

You will be missed.

Rest In Peace Linda. You were always so helpful with my novice inquiries and helped me stay focused on a multi-purpose labrador. I am grateful to have known you.

I'm sure that there were a bunch of happy, wagging tails waiting to greet you at the Bridge.

My condolences to Linda's husband and family.

Linda judged the Dallas Fort Worth Specialty many years ago over in Fort Worth. Erin,myself and our friend, Shannon Gage, each had a dog in for best of breed. Shannon was showing our Molly, Aquadot's Good Golly Ms Molly, from the veteran's class. Even in her older age, Molly was a handful to show. You can just imagine the look on Erin and myself's face when Linda walked all the way down and pulled Molly out for best of opposite. And on the way back, she said to us....that is one feisty old girl, I love her.
Linda---run free with all those Labs we have sent to meet you. I hope you find that Feisty girl again!

I am shocked and very saddened to hear the news of Lindas passing.

She opened up her heart,her mountainous knowledge and her unending love for the breed and shared it with **many** other Labrador people.

I was just thinking of Linda a couple of weeks ago and was thinking it's high time to email her, that it had been some time since we've communicated. And I'm sorry I didn't.

God Speed Linda. Rest well with your loved Dollar and Pilgrim and your other Labs that have gone before you.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to Linda's family and friends. We chatted a few times on an e-mail list chat. I enjoyed her company and knowledge of the breed. RIP Linda, the Labrador community will miss you.

I am so saddened to learn of Linda's passing. She was one important reason why we have a gene test for prcd today. She pushed Optigen to refine their marker test when some of her sighted dogs came back as Optigen C/Affected. She also was a willing mentor to newcomers in Labradors and a font of breed knowledge. Thank you for everything, Linda
My sincere condolences to her family.

My condolences to her family and friends.

She was a great person and always kind to me. I always looked forward to reading what she had to say, regardless of subject.