Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Linda Oldham Obituary

The below obituary will appear in the Poughkeepsie Journal (www.poughkeepsiejournal.com) as well as The Journal News (www.lohud.com) Wednesday - Friday.

Linda H. Oldham

On Monday, September 12, 2011, at age 70, God called Linda after a two year long battle with cancer and, as her obedience training friends might say, she performed a perfect recall. Linda was born in the Bronx, NY, on June 18, 1941, to the late Pentti K. & Sylvia M. (Maki) Heikkila. She grew up primarily in the Bronx, NY, and spent her Summer vacations as a child with her parents and grandparents in the Finnish community of Camp Lomala. She was a graduate of Walton High School, Bronx, NY. On October 28, 1961, at The Church of the Mediator, Bronx, NY, she married George B. Oldham, who survives at home. In 1971, Linda and George and their two daughters moved permanently to Lomala where they continued to live and raise their family.

Linda was a long time member of the Lomala Civic Association where she held the position of Vice President, and spent many years as Secretary. Outside of her family, as most anyone who knew her was aware, Linda’s main passion was animals - horses, dogs and cats. She spent over 35 years raising and training Labrador Retrievers. Over the years she held membership in various Kennel Clubs, and was granted a Life Membership in the Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac (MD). Her hobby allowed her to do a lot of traveling both domestically and abroad. She received her Judging license from the American Kennel Club with approval for various breeds including, of course, the Labrador Retriever. Up until her death, Linda held a seat on the Board of Directors of the national Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

In addition to her husband, George, Linda is survived by her daughter and son in-law, Lisa and Neil Daley of Hopewell Junction, NY.

Linda was, in addition to her parents, predeceased by her daughter, Robin Oldham-Tanner (2003), her sister, Ellen D’Agostino (1974), and her niece, Laura Haegele (2011).

A funeral mass will be held on Saturday, September 17, 2011, at 11:00 a.m. at St. Andrews’s Episcopal Church, 110 Overlook Road, Poughkeepsie, NY, with The Reverend Robert F. Browning, Jr., officiating. Burial will follow at the Rombout Cemetery.

To send condolences to Linda’s immediate family, please mail them: c/o P.O. Box 117, Hopewell Jct., NY 12533. In lieu of flowers, Linda requested donations be made in her memory either to Old Friends, 411 Mill Road Place, Midway, KY 40347, to benefit retired race horses, Dutchess County SPCA, 568 Violet Avenue, Hyde Park, NY 12538, or any other charity of one's choice.

Linda’s family wishes to especially thank Dr. Rachamalla, Marcy and Christine, of Dutchess Hematology at the Dyson Center for Cancer Care. At Vassar Brothers Medical Center: Drs. Apenteng, and E. Lee, who always made her feel more comfortable with their compassion and honesty; and at the end, Colleen Damon and Dawn J., RN., of the Oncology Care Unit. From Mid-Hudson Medical Group, we want to thank Dr. Rona Heublum, Tiffany, Dr. Needleman, Cindy Shoemaker, and Dr. M. Choudhury, for their care, kindness, and understanding to not only Linda throughout her illnesses, but to her family.

Arrangements handled by Auchmoody & Sons Funeral Home, Fishkill, NY.

Feel free to add the following to any online/lists posts:
All this "Lab business" started with a replacement puppy from Springfield Farms back in 1974(?), who became Springfield's High Barbaree, CD, TD. (Pekoe). And Barbaree Labradors was born. With initial help from Ch. Groveton's Lucky Lindy (Pekoe's first litter) and Ch. Shookstown Solo Smasher (two subsequent litters) came the likes of Jack, Sisu, Polly, & Pilgrim. With the litters of others came Chisum, Stryker, Solo, Dollar, Ranger, Dallas, River D, & Trooper - and so many more.
Lisa Daley

Re: Linda Oldham Obituary

Beautifully written tribute to Linda. Godspeed, and my sympathies to her family.

Barb - Did Lisa Daley write this beautiful obit? I assume that if this is posted/modified, credit is given to Lisa Daley and/or any other authors? please advise. Thank you.

I am so stunned and sad to read this. I "met" Linda years ago, on a Labrador message board. Then, when my old girl died a couple years ago, she was so helpful to me in finding the new baby who is now the light of my life. We stayed in touch as, through photos, we shared my pup's growing up and her dog Trooper's wins in the ring. Her advice was uncompromising and so valuable to me. She was a friend I never met and I'm not at all surprised that she never mentioned to me that she was sick. Whining was not her style. Rest in peace Linda, I hope you know how much you meant to me.

Kay
Barb - Did Lisa Daley write this beautiful obit? I assume that if this is posted/modified, credit is given to Lisa Daley and/or any other authors? please advise. Thank you.

It is a beautifully written obituary. The writer should get credit for it be it on a board, website or even emails. Much work appears to have gone into it and a close friendship perhaps.

Rest in peace Linda. I hope you are surrounded by all of the beautiful dogs you had in your life.

I believe Lisa did write it, i got it from another source, but she added the bit about "lab business"

Yes, Lisa, wrote her mom's obit~ I was asked for a picture of Linda by LRCP... I believe it's up on their website now. In time, they'll turn it into a tribute w/ other things said.

I still cannot believe she is gone............ Anyone who knew her was richer for it~

I miss you, Linda~