Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many pups consitutes a litter?

Just curious as to what most stud dog owners guarantee number wise for a litter.

Re: How many pups consitutes a litter?

Check out this article from Royal Canin

Litter Size In Dogs

Read the Dam and Sire sections.

My 2 Cents!

Now after all of that ... I say 8! I get so frustrated when I have a "lit" of 2 or 3 puppies. But then again, I sometimes use older dogs. I guess we all need to look at who we are breeding and what we are breeding to. Pesonally, I'll take a litter of 2, even 1, if I know that puppy is going to be spectacular. Isn't that or goal? Our McSteamy and Georgie came out of a litter of 3. I couldn't be more thrilled with that litter.

I know we all have dog bills to pay and we would love for our broods to be self supporting, however, that is not possible... Most of the time! If you got into this sport to make money, you chose the wrong one. Football, baseball or basketball would have been a better choice. Now those athletes make money!

Just Sayin!
Michael

Two live puppies, that does not mean at birth, that means two at 8 weeks. And then you get a do over , and I suggest you have a work up on your girl with your Vet , that includes blood work.

sperm is not the only factor in breeding

Re: How many pups consitutes a litter? GIVE ME A BREAK!

I think the bitch owner does allot more work than the stud owner does. The bitch has to have the same amount of expense in showing, clearances plus all the breeding expenses... and vet expenses are going up!

With stud fees going upwards of $1000 and up, it would be NICE if stud owners would say 3....
Actually it is easier to finish a male than a bitch!

For 20 years it's been 2 pups constitute a litter... but my real question is: Years ago, pups were $500 and so were stud fees...then it was $800, etc. and the logic was that the price of a pup dictated the stud fee. So now, we pay or get paid $900-$1000 stud fee, yet folks are charging $1200, $1500 or more for their pups, yet the stud fees remain the same.... what is up with that and when did it change?

Personally, I breed for myself and would be happy with one REALLY nice puppy

curious
For 20 years it's been 2 pups constitute a litter... but my real question is: Years ago, pups were $500 and so were stud fees...then it was $800, etc. and the logic was that the price of a pup dictated the stud fee. So now, we pay or get paid $900-$1000 stud fee, yet folks are charging $1200, $1500 or more for their pups, yet the stud fees remain the same.... what is up with that and when did it change?

Excuse me, but I've been quoted $1200 for a stud fee and in my area of the country you couldn't get $1200 if the puppy was gold plated. If you want to charge $1200 or $1500 for a stud fee, feel free - you own the dog and you control your price. But don't blame anyone but yourself if your wonderfully handsome stud dog is left standing outside the dance with no date.

I've signed contracts over the past 20 years for both 2 & 3 puppies to constitute a litter. It's whatever is agreed upon. I think 2 puppies approximately covers the cost of the stud fee and one keeper. I consider the "cost" of the keeper to be the progesterone testing, semen shipping, worming, vaccines, vet checks, food, etc. C-sections and out of the ordinary expenses are mine to absorb. If I'm the bitch owner and the stud owner guarantees 3 puppies, I'm a happy camper!

Stud fees and puppy prices are whatever the market will bear. If your stud can command a $1000+ fee, by all means charge it. If your puppies will bring $1500+ prices, charge them. Puppy prices across this country now vary more widely than they didn't 15 years ago. Also, a stud owner is free to charge different stud fees to different bitch owners depending on their circumstances or where in the country the bitch owner resides. Each contract is separate from the others and negotiable.

What part of country are stud dogs commaning $1500??

Breeder
I think the bitch owner does allot more work than the stud owner does. The bitch has to have the same amount of expense in showing, clearances plus all the breeding expenses... and vet expenses are going up!

With stud fees going upwards of $1000 and up, it would be NICE if stud owners would say 3....
Actually it is easier to finish a male than a bitch!

I could disagree with that. Stud dogs still need tests often, like bruc. Males are not always easier to finish - which really has nothing to do with stud fees to begin with. Most stud owners do more testing than bitch owners (in general) - some figure why test for Opt and EIC - as long as I use a clear stud. Lots of bitches don't have heart clearances.

Also, some bitch owners would just like to be able to do one prog. test and then have you ship the semen. For better results it usually takes at least 2 prog tests.

It is usually not the male that causes small litter size.

Tired
curious

Excuse me, but I've been quoted $1200 for a stud fee and in my area of the country you couldn't get $1200 if the puppy was gold plated. If you want to charge $1200 or $1500 for a stud fee, feel free - you own the dog and you control your price. But don't blame anyone but yourself if your wonderfully handsome stud dog is left standing outside the dance with no date.

Happy to know you base your breeding program on economics. Wonderfully Handsome, full clearances and proven =- shame they don't sell semen at walmart.

Prom Date
Tired
curious

Happy to know you base your breeding program on economics. Wonderfully Handsome, full clearances and proven =- shame they don't sell semen at walmart.

Was the Walmart comment neccesary? No!

Most stud fees with all clearances and CH stud dogs is $1000. If not a finished CH sometimes it's $900. I don't know of any stud dogs I've enquired about that the owner was asking a $1200 stud fee.

Sure, breeders in sections that can't sell their pups for anywhere near $1200 are really going to balk at a higher than normal stud fee.

The price I receive for a pup is higher than the $1000 stud fee I pay by a good amount. Does that mean because of where I live I should pay more? I certainly hope not.

Some breeders complain they don't get stud service contacts at $800. I'm sure there are reasons for it, varying reasons. It's not always the cost. It could be the dog himself, a lack of clearances-1 important clearance or a pedigree.

Both posters have points but why argue them? I think we all have more important issues in our lives, dogs or otherwise.

I pay a $1000 stud fee normally. It's the right cost for semen from the right dog. A $1200 stud fee would bother me as well when the majority are $1000. He would have to be an extra special boy for me to pay more than everyone else is charging. Then again, I try to use a special boy for my special girl each and every time. Don't we all *try* to?

2 healthy pups in our case but our last outside breedings were done with a nonrefundable $200 service fee and the remainder of the fee paid only after delivery of a 2 or larger litter.

Well what consitiutes a litter? Since we are all millionaires, of course stud fees and puppy prices doesn't matter. REALITY CHECK: Sure puppy prices are different around the country....so are vet charges, housing etc. For the record 2 Costco's 33 miles apart can have different prices on staple items. Now reality the way I see it, I try to TREAT OTHER PEOPLE THE WAY I WANT TO BE TREATED.....YOU ALL REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE. If you don't take it seriously do remember this fact about life YOU CREATE YOUR OWN KARMA. My logic having been lucky enough to have guided several outstanding stud dogs...3 puppys at 10 days. By 10 days if there is a problem from birth the puppy will have died. One puppy =stud fee (ok so some get great puppy prices) Puppy #2 expense of the litter...puppy #3 for Me!!! For those happy with one outstanding puppy; first of all with one puppy you probably had a c-section and the "Gods" must smile on you really good for that pup to be outstanding.