Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pregnant with no titers

Hi,
I recently acquire a 4-5 year old rescue/foster dog that appears to be pregnant. I took her to my vet and she appears to be healthy, but has negative titers for parvo and distemper. My vet said she shouldn't be vaccinated since she's pregnant, and now I'm worried about the puppies. Am wondering if anyone out there has worked through a similar situation? Also, another breeder at the vet mentioned something about giving serum. Do we give this to the Dam or the puppies? Anyone done this? when should it be done? how much serum? can you freeze it? Help!

Re: Pregnant with no titers

Here's the protocol from Jean Dodds for the plasma therapy for orphaned pups. You can give it orally in the first two days, and order it frozen from Hemopet. Jean Dodds may have some other advice too. She's a great resource.

http://www.hemopet.org/files/Treating%20Fading%20Puppy%20Syndrome%20or%20Orphan%20Pups%20with%20Plasma.pdf

I would consider NeoPar for pups as young as they recommend, and a Parvo/Distemper combo after that. I also would be more careful than normal with visitors and accidentally bringing germs in.

Best of luck.