Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To Durrell Smith:

Hello,

It's good that you are coming to breeders to find a dog for placement, but it seems by your multiple posts that you aren't getting much of a response. In my opinion you are going about it in the wrong way.

In every case when I have placed a dog it is because someone has come to me personally and I got a good feeling about them and the type of home they'd be. I'd never answer an online post on a forum like this to place one of my dogs.

Seems to me like you are sitting in a boat with a basket in your lap, waiting for the fish to jump in. If you bait a hook and cast a line, you might get a more enthusiastic response from breeders who would be considering placing a dog right now.

I'm sure you are a wonderful man who can offer a wonderful home, so my advice is to contact breeders around you individually. You would likely get a more positive response.

I just googled NH and Labradors and found a site for a breeder I have heard of before named Sharon Wagner http://www.wigwaglabradors.com/contact.htm . I don't know her personally, but I'm sure she'd be willing to help you in your search.

I would call her to ask about reputable breeders in the area, and start contacting them each by phone.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure the right dog is out there for you!

Re: To Durrell Smith:

at the top of the forum page it clearly states this forum is not to be used to solicit for sale or WANTED.

There are a number of breeders listed on this site as well as their location and Labrador clubs. I would suggest you start there.

Good Luck!

breeder, thanx for info, but... we have been looking for that special dog for quite awhile. i have contact most all breeders over time in the northeast. i don't know where else to go to find such a dog?? it is apparently uncommon to list and find such a dog. as you mentioned, most come from word of mouth. that will only lead to so many opportunities. i am sorry if this is the wrong forum. i was just hoping to find the special dog we want after much local search!! thanx all

Durrell Smith
breeder, thanx for info, but... we have been looking for that special dog for quite awhile. i have contact most all breeders over time in the northeast. i don't know where else to go to find such a dog?? it is apparently uncommon to list and find such a dog. as you mentioned, most come from word of mouth. that will only lead to so many opportunities. i am sorry if this is the wrong forum. i was just hoping to find the special dog we want after much local search!! thanx all

I think your parameters may be limiting your choices. If I remember from your first post, you want a black male approx two years old. All of the dogs I've placed have been under a year old, or over 6. If they stay until they are two, they have already passed their clearances/prelims, and they are what I am looking for physically. Then they are going to stay for at least another 3 years or so.

Not saying you won't find the perfect dog within those parameters. Just keep looking and be patient. If you want something quicker, you might open your age range a bit or opt to go with a bitch. Some people don't prelim their bitches. Pretty much everyone prelims their boys, so if there's an orthopedic condition that will wash them out they usually wash out earlier. Good luck again!

...and to other breeder pointing out the rules of the forum.

Give the guy a break. He's not a breeder looking for a show prospect. He's a pet person looking for a washout. A good family pet.

We tell people all the time to educate themselves and deal with reputable breeders, but when they come to us asking questions and seeking advice about finding a good dog, we hit them with the silent treatment and the "rules".

IMO, those rules were set in motion so this forum doesn't turn into a buy, sell, and trade forum between breeders and people looking to break into the show scene.

We have several threads on the forum right now about placing dogs, and our experiences doing so. Someone new would see these and know that we place dogs, why not inquire how to possibly get one?

I'm glad he came to this forum for direction rather than going to a million other puppy mills and bybs.

Thank you for the words. I certainly meant no harm by posting here. A breeder sent me to the site for additional info. We found a black boy age 1 yr ago from a breeder in NY. The dog is wonderful! She is unfortunately not breeding any longer. We had thought about waiting for her to continue, but I'm not sure that will happen. Having exhausted all sites, breeders and word of mouth in New England, I didn't know where to turn. We are, and have been "dog" people. It has been hard to locate such a dog. I just wanted to reach out to anyone who may know of such a dog. I am sorry if I offended anyone. After having seen the posts, as an uninvolved interested person, maybe a separate internet site nation-wide in hopes of putting those people who would desire a high-quality dog. I hope that seeking a 1 year old black male does not limit us. We have had such good luck with our current dog. We have always had males and "Mr Colson" is perfect. I only had hoped to find him a mate!! I didn't want to turn this into anything that the site shouldn't be. Just a family looking for a long time for that special dog!!!

if you are in New England, there is a link to finding adults/pups on the LRCGB.com website.

thank you. have been there many times!

I'm not sure why you are having such difficulty finding a dog. I live in NE and have had a now 2 year old black male available for 3 months.
Finally found him a great home last week.
My website is easily found.
What can we as breeders do to help pet people find us better?
I see people have no problem finding the BYBs and puppy mills with terrible examples of the breed

brdr
I'm not sure why you are having such difficulty finding a dog. I live in NE and have had a now 2 year old black male available for 3 months.
Finally found him a great home last week.
My website is easily found.
What can we as breeders do to help pet people find us better?
I see people have no problem finding the BYBs and puppy mills with terrible examples of the breed

I'm also having trouble finding a hobby breeder who does clearances and breeds moderate labs. I have checked with the local Lab Association and have looked at all the websites that are listed. It's not their fault that their labs are either not to my liking or that they don't have many litters!

I have also been checking Kijiji (the Cdn equivalent of Craig's List). It's very easy to check that every day and it's well put together. Of course, it's mostly BYB's of dogs such as the DASHhund, the Borderline Collie, or even the dreaded Silver Lab (all Pure Bread of course(!)) but occasionally a hobby breeder will post with good pics and lots of information and maybe even a link to her website. The good ones shine through!

Maybe you need to have good keyword links so that people can find you easily by Googling your city and "lab breeder". Maybe you need to network with other breeders in your area. I've noticed that a few lab breeders have a section at the end of their "litters" page announcing "puppies or dogs available from other breeders". It could be helpful.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to find a reputable breeder. My dentist recently asked me to help her and her husband find a Great Dane. I know no one in the breed so I googled Great Dane Club of America and passed on the info. Just google for the breed club, it's easy.

and while your googling for the local breed club, check out their link for Rescue groups.

RLD
and while your googling for the local breed club, check out their link for Rescue groups.

Yep. We'll probably get another rescue. There are LOTS of those looking for homes, especially black males!

Another idea for the original poster is Guiding Eyes for the Blind in NY. You might be close enough to get one in a reasonable amount of time. We've been on their waiting list for nearly two years for a black puppy!!!!!

Just to clarify....we have found many reputable breeders in many states. Finding a young adult/older pup is definitely a timing issue. Our first step was contacting the breeders in our state as well as Barb Burri of Lab Retriever Club of Greater Boston. Everyone has been very helpful and we have had many leads. We are patient and know the process may take months.

I do not want to break the rules, but if you will please post your direct email I will contact you. I know someone who may have the right dog for you.

Hi, Yes, thanx. It is durreks@comcast.net

Looking at a local dog club is a great idea to get websites of breeders. If you like their dogs ask to be put on their waiting list.

You can also try http://www.breeders.net/ there are a lot of reputable breeders there but not all so do your homework.

Expand your search too.

Good luck!!!