Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
e-collar dilemma

I am going to purchase a new e-collar and would like input. I am trying to decide which collar you all like in regards to ease of use and durability. I currently have a sportdog and hate it. Going to get a tritronics g3. Any big differences between the sport combo exp and the field 90 besides the range distance and levels of stimulation? Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Re: e-collar dilemma

I have a Pro 500 and never looked back. What kind of training are you going to do?

I would just get the sport basic, it is fine for most people. I personally use a pro 100, for the variation for very soft dogs....

I have many versions of TriTronics. I really like the G3 in 99% of the situations. it is extremely versatile, and lasts decades...literally!! The only exception is teaching force fetch to client dogs, where time is an issue. In that case, the pro series is my choice. In my own dogs I would still go with theG3 though, as I can take more time to FF.

The G3 is expandable, so you can control more than on dog. That may or may not make a difference at this point....but think 10 years down the line. Your TriTronic collars will last that long and longer!

I have a tritronics G3 - while I like the fact that I can have 3 dogs on at once (I use this for walks around my unfenced areage) - it has been in to the company for service 3 times. They always fixed it quickly and for free (minus shipping) which I guess is one good point for having an American made system, but it is a pain to be without it for 2 weeks at a time.

The controller's dials easily get grains of sand, dirt, whatever under them and pop off requiring repair. Just my experience, I still like the system.