Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
first heat

What age do most females come in season? I have a 13 month old that is still has not come in. She is a smaller female don't know if that makes a difference?

Re: first heat

I am waiting for a 16 month old and a 17 month old to come in for the 1st time. I have a 2 year old who will come in again soon. When she does, I'm sure she'll throw the others into season also. Mine average from 14-18 months for 1st heat.

Mine usually come in at 8 or 9 months but I had one girl come in at five-and-a-half-months. You never know.

Barb

My others have been 8-9 months old. She just slow I guess. Of course she could be waiting until we start class in 3 weeks.

My line averages 14 - 22 months old.
A few have come in younger, about 10 months old, depending on the bloodline of the stud dog used. Occasionally, a few have come in for the first time after 24 months.

I've got a girl here who came in for the first time at 19 months. That was last January and she still hasn't come in for the second time.

Forgot to mention that her full sister from the same litter came it at 12 months for the first time (she was subsequently spayed so no idea on cycle length after that).

We are still waiting for our 21 month old to have her first season. Our other 2 girls came in season at 10 months old, and they are her 1/2 sisters(same sire).

I own the sire his mom and grandma and both they both came in around 9-10 months. I'm told her mom and grandma both came in around 9 months. With this litter is 1/2 field and show line on the dams side and show on the sires side to get more drive and I don't know much about how the field labs grow. I do find it interesting on how late some come in.

Not all lines come in at the same time. The earliest I've heard of is 6 months, the latest is over 2 years.

My 1st girl, 23 years ago had her 1st heat at 11 mo. The rest were about 13 months. Then they began to have their 1st heats later, 14 mo., 16 mo., 18 mo. the latest was 20 mo. No one had a problem with conception when bred.

I think it will vary no matter what line or lines you have.

Look at humans, each young girl or young woman gets their 1st period at a different ages, some as young as 8 years, others as late as 17 years. Then some aren't 28 days apart per cycle for years if ever. Over 17 years, gyn's start doing blood work and sonograms to make sure nothingg is wrong. Even identical twin friends of mine were 2 years apart when each began getting their period.

It all has to do with maturity in my opinion.

Sit it out and wait, be patient. I would never mess with a heat or try to change it for convenience although I know some breeders have.

daylight

Part of the country and the amount of daylight (length of day) also plays a part, I Have had pups from the same litter come in heat from 6 months (living in FL) to 1 year (midwest).

Purchased a young adult female who at 2.5 years old had still not had a heat cycle. Used ovulplant on her and she came into heat in three days. Bred her, litter of 8. Waiting now to see if she will cycle normally. It has been 8 months since she was bred and another female just came into heat. We will see.

MWK

Re: daylight

I was told that the implants were discontinued. Is that true?