Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SR Snowden Hill's Bear Mountain CD JH RN

I am saddened to announce the passing of a most noble Labrador Retriever. Many of you may remember Nancy Boyle's Bear from the Parade of Titleholders a few years ago at Potomac. He was blind then, but positively elated to have received such applause!

Nancy wrote a fitting tribute:

"Bear" 11/9/1997 - 9/16/2011

SR Snowden Hill's Bear Mountain CD JH RN

"Bear was a spunky 4 week old puppy when we met him. He took a look at our family and barked - "Pick me!". He was a big fat yellow ball of Labrador pup, named Bear because we thought he would be a big boy. As it turned out, he was not so big physically, but he was the biggest dog I've ever known in courage, heart, and love. Bear earned two hunting titles, an obedience title, and two championship points before being diagnosed with PRA, which meant he would be completely blind at the prime of his life. This never slowed Bear down - he didn't know he was different. His genetics were used in the development of the first test for PRA so he has prevented uncountable Labradors from being condemned to a life in darkness. Even after he was almost completely blind, he qualified three times in Rally and earned his RN at the side of his beloved junior handler, Lyla. Lyla took Bear all over the country competing in juniors and breed, qualifying for Westminster and the Eukanuba. Bear's favorite person was the pizza delivery man, and he would just be climbing out of his skin in anticipation of his favorite treat - pizza crust. "Uncle Bear" taught generations of Labrador and Havanese puppies not to fear the world. He calmed frightened rescue dogs and kept that special corner of the kitchen toasty warm. He listened to our troubles and soothed our nerves for almost 14 years. Bear has lately been a stately gentleman going outside twice a day for a short walk, but the time came this week that he just couldn't make it to the door. So tonight Jud brought the pizza and Bear enjoyed his favorite treats. His always sweet, calm and peaceful face never changed as we let him slip away. (Thank you Dr. Bart for coming to the house...) Give our love to Luke, Debbie, Tilly, Max, and the rest of our almost-human family members... Sweet boy, I will miss you so much."

I will miss him so much, too, Nancy. What a wonderful boy he was!

Re: SR Snowden Hill's Bear Mountain CD JH RN

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Bear. While I didn't know him, he surely was a credit to our breed -- not only in his performance accomplishments but his contribution to the elimination of PRA was a priceless gift. The tribute you wrote, Nancy, was touching and gave a nice insight to his character. He will surely be missed by his family. God speed sweet boy and rest in peace.

Godspeed, Bear. You touched many lives with your pure and gentle soul.
My condolences to Nancy and Lyla. Bear was well loved.

The memories of Bear will last a lifetime, just wish theirs was longer to enjoy with them here.I remember Bear as a young dog competing in obedience for the first time with Nancy, that was how we met. Amazing the things that happen just because of one dog, Bear was that dog.
Rest in Peace Bear.

What a beautiful tribute, Nancy. It's obvious that Bear brought much joy to your family and you returned the favor by loving him throughout his long life. May your sadness at this time be tempered by the warm memories you'll forever hold of your special boy.

Barb

Oh Nancy, please accept my heartfelt condolences on losing Bear. Godspeed sweet boy and ambassador of our breed. You did much to help us all. You know all my Labs come from Snowden Hill's and Bear came from my late heartdog Eben's brother. Knowing my Eben, Bear was every bit the gentleman and a delight to be around and oozed with the kind and gentle temperment that is our Hallmark. So very sorry. He sounds so wonderfull and just know he's running with all of our babies until you meet again.

I am so sorry to hear about Bear's loss.

Hugs!

This brings tears to my eyes. Bear sounds like a wonderful dog. I am so sorry for you loss. RIP Bear.

Nancy, I am so sorry. What a special boy he was.

Nancy, so sorry you have lost a dog such as Bear. You and Lyla hung in there with him; didn't let his disibility hold him, or you back. Quite the contrary as he flourished, did good for the breed in so many ways and was a wonderful companion. Godspeed Bear.

I remember Bear when you were just starting to show him. He was soooo adorable and just so sweet. I am so sorry Nancy, I am sure he was your true heart dog. Hugs.

Sincere condolences, Nancy and Lyla. You did so much with him, including teaching him signals so he could continue competitions. Special boy he was, and I am sure you must have felt blessed to have him enrich your lives. Godspeed, Bear.
I hold you all in my thoughts.

I am sorry to hear this. I know how much Bear was loved by his people and I know they will miss him terribly. My sympathies to Nancy, Lyla and Bridget.

So sorry to hear of his passing, but thank you Bear for helping so many other labs...

GodSpeed

So very sorry to see that Bear passed but his reward is with him now. Rest in peace sweet Lad.