Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Show trophy ideas

A couple days ago our kennel club sent out notices for trophy sponsership for our show next year and I was thinking that instead of giving the fee for the club to buy the trophy/s, that I would find something breed-specific for Labs to give instead. Does anyone have any advice/opinions on whats appropriate? I found a cute "Welcome" sign on lovealab.com at a good price, would that be okay? I was thinking like a service tray with a Lab in the center, but so far no luck with that. I have until December, so I have time, but thought I would start shopping around!

If you also know of a website that has good ideas, please feel free to share!

Re: Show trophy ideas

Becky:

IMHO...The best trophy is a useful trophy!

My club, Mid Jersey LRC and the Pawcatuck River LRC give these wonderful dog beds/crate pads. They are made by Carolyn Harvey up in Maine. They are functional and beautiful!

My club in CA, San Joaquin Valley LRC also has given away stainless steel buckets as well as nylon leads for class trophies. Again, functional!

Just me!
Michael

All good ideas! Thank you!!

San Diego LRC gave stainless food bowls and Mendota leads in February, and High Desert LRC has given show leads in the past. All very useful and appreciated!!

On the other hand, I loved the crested Armetale pieces I have received from LRC of Southern California and each year I aspire to the larger pieces...

One year, one of our members made stained glass nightlights (Lab in field setting) and I treasure that piece every day. The picture frame and lightswitch cover (both personalized with the Club name and show date) I received from LRCSC are also treasured pieces.

HDLRC has also given handmade pieces by one of our members and they are beautiful and highly treasured.

Just a few more ideas...

One of the neatest things I've seen that is also useful was a folding chair..like the ones you see all the time at the shows.....it had on the back the club name and like winners bitch, winners dog etc. I thought it was very neat, useful, and you can brag a little LOL

I got a First Place bucket from the SDLRC many years ago, I still use it and enjoy the memories of the win.

Denver gave our Weathertop leads one year on the brown bag day. That was nice.

Lots of folks on ebay do the Personalized hand stamping of copper tags, you could get some nice leads (Alvalley for example) and then put on a tag to personalize them for the price or the club giving the show.

Or are there any local potters that can make an item and personalize it for the club?

I have provided trophies for a number of clubs over the years, as well as for individuals like you. I hand-make some pieces, including custom, such as wood peg racks, frames, etc. like those I have provided for LRCP Bare Bones for the last 4 years (and 2011). I also have a large collection of printed items with Labrador designs and I can customize those. Take a look at my website and link to my printed products shop.

Amy - I have "Gone Fishing" and it is by far my favorite. Everyone who has seen it goes crazy for it. I crack up everytime I look at it. Sure wish you did it in a black.

Amy Ottertail
I have provided trophies for a number of clubs over the years, as well as for individuals like you. I hand-make some pieces, including custom, such as wood peg racks, frames, etc. like those I have provided for LRCP Bare Bones for the last 4 years (and 2011). I also have a large collection of printed items with Labrador designs and I can customize those. Take a look at my website and link to my printed products shop.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Lots of possibilities there! I haven't decided, but the trophies given by the club are personalized with the club name (mugs have the logo & name)- so I think i'll do that too and include the club name... I think I'll go back to your site, Amy, and see pick a couple for a short list... Thank you again!

Amy Ottertail

Anyone that has seen Amy's work knows it's beautiful. She also has been kind enough in the close past to donate trophies for obedience and more. I think we all need to shop her site for the beautiful items and to thank her for her generosity to the breed and the shows. ~jmo~

All suggestions are good, on top of it a crystal trophy with the club's name etched, the winning dog/dam name on to go with it; would be a neat thing not only for the kennel's achievement, also for the club I think. It sound costly, but that's how you care for your Labradors right? It's about time to make every specialty show really special. In due time we would all be thankful we did.

God bless you all,

Phil Aperocho

Embroidered Chairs

I do these for several clubs and from the feedback I receive, the recipients are thrilled with their trophies. I also have embroidered on soft crates that were used as trophies.

Jo-Anne

As a trophy co-chair myself, I am very interested in many of these ideas. I favor the useful trophies too.

Just as a note, Phil, I guarantee you clubs would love to give very expensive and one of a kind trophies, but specialties have a rough time breaking even, no less even making any money. We need to break even to keep a specialty club afloat, and specialty clubs do so much more than give a specialty show. They offer breed education, fund rescues and health services, give hunt tests to ensure our breed continues to follow their function. Our club tries to make our show special with hospitality and other services such as CERF clinics and Optigen testing. I'm sure all clubs wish they could do more, but the economy is no different for clubs than it is for individuals. I pray for the day finances improve for us all so we can fully enjoy and participate in all the wonderful options our specialty clubs offer.

JMO