Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new dog crates

Looking to replace some of my dog crates for my Labs while traveling. I have had the same ones for almost 20 years and sad to say they have had it. Bought two midwest cages but it seems my younger ones seem to get toes stuck when trying to get out of cage. Seems the new ones have a one inch gap in the bottom front of cage. Does anyone have a suggestion of any other cages that DONT have this. My old Kennel Air ones where wonderful. Small slots and no gap in front.
Any Ideas would be wonderful.

Re: new dog crates

I have no insight, except to say that the old style Kennel Aire Commander series were the best dog crates made. The new Kennel Aire's do not compare.
I have bought just about every other crate made to add to my collection and prefer the Central Metal crates for sturdiness. My second choice would be the airline crates (although not that easy to see into and clean).

best of luck.

Try putting a sheet of cardboard (from a box) under the pan. I just had to do that with an icrate. They are making these crates cheaper and lighter.

I will 2nd what the other poster said about the Central Metal crates. They are sturdy well made crates. You pay for them, but these days if you want quality you gotta pay for it! If you purchase from CM I would also suggest getting the crate pan sprayed with a Rhino bedliner at your local body shop. I have a light colored yellow that lives in the lake behind my house and the metal color will rub off on his coat. When I bought mine I didnt know that they offered a stainless steel pan. If I would've gotten the SS pan I dont think the spray on bedliner would've been necessary.

Central Metal is now offering plastic crate pans. I have replaced my decades old pans with stainless steel, and for youngsters who can't have bedding, I line those with plastic from other brands. Does anyone know if the plastic CM pans are similar to the flimsy MidWest pans or more like the thicker, flexing Precision pans or midweight General Cage pans?

Over the last two years, I had started to switch to Precision as the ancient CM crates got too old, but now they don't make the 3-door Great Crates. Sigh!