Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weak pasterns in 2 yo

I took back an almost 2.5 yo male today from the owner due to a family issue. I suspect he's had very little exercise these past several months, and he's also UNDERweight by at least 5# (15# probably by some folk's standards). He weighs in at 70#, and when he simply turned his head away, I could see the ripple of all of his ribs. I like my dogs lean but he's clearly too lean. His head is far too big for the body.

The other thing I noticed was that his pasterns started out normal in the sitting photos I took early on, but seemed to gradually get weaker as the day went on (he was running constantly on ~5A w/ my other dogs). Along w/ the pasterns getting lower, his feet started looking flatter. My lines tend to have excellent tight/strong feet and pasterns and so I wonder if this could be an issue due to exercise and or nutrition (too little).

Re: Weak pasterns in 2 yo

I would say he was under-nutritioned, fed a food with not enough fat and protein content, perhaps the calc ium level could have been way too low also. Beef him up gradually.

Perhaps therapeutic massage would help the pasterns gain strength back. Gentle, frequent walks will help. Probably a full panel bloodwork is prudent here, to see where else he may be lacking. Check his teeth also for signs of anything abnormal.

Family pets also suffer during a human family crisis, unfortunately. Best of luck in getting him back to optimum weight and better health.

Well said "under nourished." Pat Hastings always said to switch foods if pasterns are weak - which I'm sure you have done already

We got a male returned to us at age a little over age 4, he was kept in a small kennel and never allowed much free exercise. When he came to us he was down in the hocks like a 4-6 month old puppy would be and he had little muscle tone, when he trotted it wasn't "flowing".It was very stilted and he didn't extend his legs at all.It really was sad to see him at first but he also had such a grin on his face from his new found freedom you couldn't help but smile! We let him out for as much fresh air and exercise as he would self tolerate, but didn't push him or his underdeveloped muscles at first, then as he "relearned" to run we watched in amazement how much his gait changed. Since he had never been allowed to run at a full gallop his strides were stilted , even at the walk. After he had been with us a few months he moved normally and had a lovely stride and was a powerful mover, it just took time for him to gain the muscletone and re-educate the muscles how to move.Given some time and correct feeding your boy should do as well as the dog we had returned to us that was much older.

Older than dirt
We got a male returned to us at age a little over age 4, he was kept in a small kennel and never allowed much free exercise. When he came to us he was down in the hocks like a 4-6 month old puppy would be and he had little muscle tone, when he trotted it wasn't "flowing".It was very stilted and he didn't extend his legs at all.It really was sad to see him at first but he also had such a grin on his face from his new found freedom you couldn't help but smile! We let him out for as much fresh air and exercise as he would self tolerate, but didn't push him or his underdeveloped muscles at first, then as he "relearned" to run we watched in amazement how much his gait changed. Since he had never been allowed to run at a full gallop his strides were stilted , even at the walk. After he had been with us a few months he moved normally and had a lovely stride and was a powerful mover, it just took time for him to gain the muscletone and re-educate the muscles how to move.Given some time and correct feeding your boy should do as well as the dog we had returned to us that was much older.

Was he with a breeder or pet home in those conditions? I'm glad to hear he is doing better. Some people take horrible care of their dogs don't they?

I also see 4 to 6 month pups down in the hocks, giving Vit. C can be helpful. At older ages 500 mg. 2 times daily can be sufficient, a little more can't hurt. You might want to load it in a larger dose for the first few days and spread out the dosages 4 times a day. I don't know about the older dogs but it can't hurt trying C along with something along the lines of what you did. A good, healthy exercise program worked in slowly with a premium food.

Good luck to the OP.

The good news is he's been fed a high quality food, same as I feed here, but imo, just not enough. It was interesting that another littermate owner came out within 2 hrs of his arrival and she was appalled at how thin he was (but her girl is chunky). A field friend came yesterday and he said he thought he looked good! His rear muscling is very good considering. I have increased the amount of food, however, and he acts as though he is starved. I'm inclined to think it's more about lack of exercise than anything because he's not as bad looking today (but also hasn't been running all day either). I guess time will tell.

Thank you, I will also add Vit C along w/ the probiotics, fish oil/vit E, MSM and glucosamine I've got him on.

He was in a pet home dealing w/ marital issues so I suspect he was getting minimal attention/exercise and was likely crated a lot during the day the past several months. I was told he was being walked for ~1 hr daily but that may have only been leash walking, not free running as I can do here with fenced acreage.

I've had great success with Sure Grow 100 fixing pasterns.

pasterns
The good news is he's been fed a high quality food, same as I feed here, but imo, just not enough. It was interesting that another littermate owner came out within 2 hrs of his arrival and she was appalled at how thin he was (but her girl is chunky). A field friend came yesterday and he said he thought he looked good! His rear muscling is very good considering. I have increased the amount of food, however, and he acts as though he is starved. I'm inclined to think it's more about lack of exercise than anything because he's not as bad looking today (but also hasn't been running all day either). I guess time will tell.

Make sure he gets a fecal and gets wormed, (if you haven't already) he may just be wormy.

The boy we had was with a horrid pet home,(that we did try to get him out of several times only to be slapped with a lawsuit when we took the dog back after it had been found roaming for the umpteenth time,even once being hit by a car)they kept them (he and the other dog they bought) in a small pen and were crated in the garage at night, despite all the times they mentioned they would take the dog(s) out to the park,walk on the bike path,etc. it was obvious he never did,(he had no obedience training either by the time I got him back)then he was turned over to another breeder that kept him kenneled until he was returned to us.
I did deworm him with a few courses of meds,he clearly had worms when I got him so I had fecals run a few times till he was clear. I'm sure that was the cause of much of his undernourishment.
Watching this boy flourish with exercise and attention was priceless.

BreederMake sure he gets a fecal and gets wormed, (if you haven't already) he may just be wormy. [:)

Thankfully the owner did that ~10 days ago, along w/ getting shots up to date along w/a heartworm test... ends up he had NOT been on HW preventative yet was living in an area where HW is becoming a concern.

Really appreciate all the input! This was a first for me w/ pasterns in an adult though thinking back, a neighbor adopted a Rott rescue a few years ago w/ a horrible pastern issue and he was an adult. Now you can't even tell he had a problem.

Older than Dirt
The boy we had was with a horrid pet home,(that we did try to get him out of several times only to be slapped with a lawsuit when we took the dog back after it had been found roaming for the umpteenth time,even once being hit by a car)they kept them (he and the other dog they bought) in a small pen and were crated in the garage at night, despite all the times they mentioned they would take the dog(s) out to the park,walk on the bike path,etc. it was obvious he never did,(he had no obedience training either by the time I got him back)then he was turned over to another breeder that kept him kenneled until he was returned to us.
I did deworm him with a few courses of meds,he clearly had worms when I got him so I had fecals run a few times till he was clear. I'm sure that was the cause of much of his undernourishment.
Watching this boy flourish with exercise and attention was priceless.

I really like your last sentence.

OP, I'm still a Vit C fan and saw it do wonders on a girl of mine too but younger. Have you asked the vet about Vit C and glucosomine/Chrondroitin/MSM

??
OP, I'm still a Vit C fan and saw it do wonders on a girl of mine too but younger. Have you asked the vet about Vit C and glucosomine/Chrondroitin/MSM

Why would you think that's a problem? I've been doing gluc/chond/msm/B100 (has VitC in it) for years here. As long as it's water soluble, the body should use what it needs and excrete the rest.

Who said it's a problem? It can't hurt to give it. Did the OP say she is giving those to the dog?

??
Who said it's a problem? It can't hurt to give it. Did the OP say she is giving those to the dog?

Ummm, I am the OP.