Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What are the first signs of pregnancy that you see?

I'll know Thursday via ultrasound for sure, but I am still curious.

Physical or behavioral?

Ms Kodi will be 4 weeks Thursday, and I think I see a chubiness there...She is an otherwise very skinny girl...(I ordinarily can see most of her ribs, she has 23 performance titles, so is very fit). I THINK I see a behavioral difference...

So, in general, just curious, what are the first signs of pregnancy that you see?

Re: What are the first signs of pregnancy that you see?

Behavior (mellower) and vulva remains swollen.

While I do notice sucky behaviour, I have seen that just generally post heat, even when they're not bred, or when they're experiencing a bit of a "false".

The most obvious physical features that I notice are pinker, slightly more elongated nipples.

Also, this sounds weird, but within a few weeks after I notice the nipples, the hair in their tummy area seems to stand up and not lie flat. These are evident to me before any real bulge comes in the belly.

Good luck with your girl.

BBI Labs
I'll know Thursday via ultrasound for sure, but I am still curious.

Physical or behavioral?

Ms Kodi will be 4 weeks Thursday, and I think I see a chubiness there...She is an otherwise very skinny girl...(I ordinarily can see most of her ribs, she has 23 performance titles, so is very fit). I THINK I see a behavioral difference...

So, in general, just curious, what are the first signs of pregnancy that you see?

The first sign that always pops out at me is the size and feel of the vulva. Anytime I have a bitch that is bred, her vulva will not shrink back down and it will become softer. When I've had misses in the past, the vulva usually begins to shrink again like it does after a normal season. Even with only one or two pups, the vulva will remain swollen and loose.

The second thing I notice is the nipples.

My girls also have bouts with morning sickness usually where they won't eat their food and will throw up if they do.

The first sign I noticed with my bitch was that she was very clingy... wanted to get hugs and kisses all the time and just wanted to be close. Very calm and relaxed.
I've also seen in my other bitch, who normally was very clingy, that she became little reserve and wanted to be left alone for the first few weeks of pregnancy.
Good luck!!

The first sign of pregnancy is simple. The complete lack of puppy inquiries. That is a telltale sign your girl will deliver a big litter.

I notice the hair along the loin, that usually runs flat starts to part. Its hard to describe.

Good luck with your litter.

Justin
The first sign of pregnancy is simple. The complete lack of puppy inquiries. That is a telltale sign your girl will deliver a big litter.

Who breeds a litter when they have no reservations?

curious
I notice the hair along the loin, that usually runs flat starts to part. Its hard to describe.

Justin

You take deposits before the litter is bred? So if the bitch misses you disappoint how many potential buyers? Or the reverse, buyers can back out and not more than 1.

How many *reservations* do you take for a litter of an unknown amount which is before whelping at the very least?

curious

Justin

I don't even take reservations until I know my bitch has taken. I've never been stuck with pups at 8 weeks.

Why don't you just mind your own backyard and let everyone else do the same. Keep your snippy insults to yourself.

I thought his answer was rather funny myself.

I found Justin funny too, until curious came along. Now I realize what I always suspected. I recieve calls for an avail pup because the breeder they were working with took a deposit 6 mo. before any pups were due. Then, they didn't have a pup for the caller out of 3 different litters in that 6 mo. time frame. Imagine how many deposits were taken and some were half the cost of the pup.

I didn't say that I took deposits, but I ALWAYS have a few people on the waiting list, or I don't breed.

You'll never hear me posting about puppies I can't place. Between facebook and forums, its all you hear now a days, about a shortage of puppy homes etc.

No interest, means I don't breed.

I also thought Justin was funny.

I NEVER breed for anyone but myself, therefore, when I breed a litter it is for me when I'm ready for an addition to our family. I don't take names for a list until the bitch is bred and never take deposits before I know the bitch is pregnant. I've yet to have puppies available at 8 weeks (knock on wood).

First signs I notice are a change in behavior and then the nipples becoming pink.

I thought Justin was funny too!!

As others have stated, I wouldn't breed unless there was a interest beyond what I was breeding for (my next performance dog).

So, far I am seeing a definite change in attitude. She is alpha here, and has always in the past 'dictated' when she thought others should be playing, who got to retrieve etc or whatever). Now she is sitting on the couch and watching it all happen. (I have a rowdy 5 month old in for board and train, and now unless the pup gets near her, she is pretty nonchalant about it.)

Sonya

I NEVER breed for anyone but myself, therefore, when I breed a litter it is for me.....

Here, here!!

I also breed for me and have never once had pups go a day past 8 weeks at my house unless it was my decision.

I also heard someone griping lately. I began to ask questions and it turns out they were selling pups from their first litter for $1800 a piece. They had plenty of calls but no one willing to pay that amount of money for a dog in the south.

Lesson: Just because you hear of some breeders who can charge like that, it doesn't mean everyone can. Location, location, location!!

Sonya

I NEVER breed for anyone but myself, therefore, when I breed a litter it is for me when I'm ready for an addition to our family. I don't take names for a list until the bitch is bred and never take deposits before I know the bitch is pregnant. I've yet to have puppies available at 8 weeks (knock on wood).

First signs I notice are a change in behavior and then the nipples becoming pink.

I breed for my next show prospect the rest of the puppies that I am not planning to keep become available. I take deposits once the pregancy is confirmed, if you sit with a waiting list and no deposits most people go elsewhere for a puppy. I take 4 deposits max before the litter is born. This gives me room to decide on my keepers. The puppies are usually all reserved before 8 weeks.

The first thing I notice on my girls is the nipples become longer and pink. That is the sure sign IMO. Good luck.

Breeder
Sonya

I NEVER breed for anyone but myself, therefore, when I breed a litter it is for me.....

Here, here!!

I also breed for me and have never once had pups go a day past 8 weeks at my house unless it was my decision.

I also heard someone griping lately. I began to ask questions and it turns out they were selling pups from their first litter for $1800 a piece. They had plenty of calls but no one willing to pay that amount of money for a dog in the south.

Lesson: Just because you hear of some breeders who can charge like that, it doesn't mean everyone can. Location, location, location!!

Location AND Reputation!

But don't think the economy and certain times of year don't come into play.