Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reliable Labrador rescue in Michigan?

I am frequently asked by a Michigan friend who is on the board of a Golden Resuce group why there is not a reliable Labrador rescue in Michigan. It seems the Golden rescue frequently receives quite a number of Labradors. I've refered them to Central Michigan Labrador Rescue Network but they do not return calls/e-mails. I've tried contacting them myself and cannot get in touch. A performance friend also wanted to get a rescue Labrador for performance and couldn't get in touch with Central Michigan Labrador Rescue. Does anyone know anything about them or another reliable Michigan Labrador rescue? Thanks!

Re: Reliable Labrador rescue in Michigan?

Yes, CMLRN is VERY reliable and does a good job in regards to rescue work. We have to remember that like most rescues, these are volunteers for intake, hosting and placement of dogs. Best advice regarding CMLRN is to keep trying to make contact.

Huron River LRC does not have a formal rescue program for intake/hosting/placement of dogs such as a few other clubs. We just do not have the resources (manpower and ongoing funds) available to manage a full-scale program.

Some Huron River LRC members do place rescue dogs from time to time as well. Anyone can contact a club member if they are in search of a dog and they will be referred accordingly if there is a dog available needing a home. I can say that often folks are very specific in what they are seeking in a rescue such as color/sex, so that adds difficulty to their finding a rescue and for our members to place a rescue as well.

Michelle

Hello. I'm Dani, and I'm one of the founders of CMLRN. Had you ACTUALLY called my rescue, you'd know that there is a message on our voicemail that we are NOT taking dogs at this point, and that we are reminding people to contact their breeders that they obtained their dog from. Mind you, most dogs we get are from BYBers who would NOT conceive of ever taking back their dogs, we at least encourage the practice. I have a decent relationship with GRROM, and we've only been contacted 1 time with regard to a lab that they had obtained and then they ultimately ended up placing anyways.

At this point, I have exhausted all of my foster homes and currently have no options to pull dogs from shelters or owner surrenders. And we have refused a number of dogs because of some high occurrence of major behavior issues that we are simply not willing to risk our own dogs or family with. Our last two rescues were heavy financial burdens that ultimately ended up not being good candidates for family placement.

So before you come on here and say that we're not reliable or that you've actually called (I answer all calls personally or return all messages), please don't say that I heard from a friend....blah blah blah.

Otherwise, step up, offer your home up to foster or help us to find willing fosters. That is the problem...lots of people want to save these poor dogs, but not too many are willing to offer up their homes to us to help.

I've placed well over 400 dogs since our beginnings. And for a group of 8 people max, that's pretty impressive. AGAIN, if you're unable to help, then keep your thoughts to yourself. I simply can't handle more silliness when I'm already dealing with idiots who need to "get rid of their dog."

Oh, and email me anytime. info@cmlrn.com or call 989-317-0530. Do keep in mind that I have two labradors of my own, a family and I work full time to, so if I don't respond to you within two hours, I'm probably out with my dogs, or if it's this weekend, I'm supporting HRLRC at our 25th Anniversary Specialty.

Have a great day.

GO DANI!!!!!

You are a rock star Dani!

Paws UP!

Dani,

I am sorry to have offended you. Yes, I have personally called and received the message many times that you are no longer taking Labradors; from my end it seemed like the rescue was no longer working. I and others have also left unanswered e-mails. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Now I really understand why - you simply do not have enough help. I am very impressed with 400 dogs being placed by a group of 8 people!!!!

I am not out to bash anyone, just wondering if there is then another Michigan group that is taking rescues. As a member of the AKC group of Grand Rapids Area Canines you might be shocked how many times I've been asked from responsible performance people about Michigan Labrador rescue. Sadly, I have heard others in this area bash your group - now I have ammo to answer with :) I see the real issue is not enough homes and help.

Thanks,Dani,for taking time to respond and give an accurate picture of the rescue

Quick search results that might be helpful:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Michigan+Labrador+Retriever+Rescue&src=IE-SearchBox

Thank you CM, but I will say this, MICHIGAN doesn't have good rescue resources available. We were extremely active until we burned everyone out, which is where we are at now. Michigan's economy sucks and spending extra time and money helping out homeless dogs isn't on the top of many people's lists. Then we lost a few of our fosters who are starting families right now and the stress of taking care of their own dogs and welcoming a child into their family took president, which it should.

The link that is an angelfire site hasn't been active since I began in 2005, the Purebreed Lab Rescue is a broker and the people used to be affiliated with the National Labrador Club but were kicked out for sketchy ethics. The folks in SE Michigan haven't been active in at least 3 years. The Chocolate Lab Rescue is just a listing for people to know what dogs are available but they don't screen or vet anything. I made a conscious choice to take a break at the beginning of this summer when I got so angry with a person who gave me every reason in the book that she couldn't keep her dog that I felt it wasn't serving anyone any good if I dreaded every phone call I got from people and listening to their very lame excuses. I lost my grace and I needed to put myself in check.

To JRH, you didn't offend me. But I will tell you this. If you've ever emailed me with tone of "hey, I know of this really great dog that is in so and so shelter, hurry now before it get's euthanized" I WILL delete them. I absolutely have NO time for people to point out every single dog in every single shelter both here in Michigan or in other states. I have to block some people because I CAN'T pull dogs from other states when I can't even take care of the dogs in my own county. It serves NO purpose for me to know about every single soul that I can't save. Again it's the whole concept that if you have time to surf the web and look at homeless dogs, but don't have the time to foster a dog, you're really defeating the whole idea of rescue. WE CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL, NOR SHOULD WE TRY TO.

I know this is going to sound extremely heartless, but I've met a number of dogs that people feel bad for, but have no business being adopted out to a family. Is it the dog's fault? NO. But to try and pretend that all dogs can be rehabbed is ridiculous. I try and help the dogs that can be helped, and the rest I pray to the Lord my Savior and beg for Him to forgive those who treat His creatures with disrespect.

It's ironic that we have been bashed by others in the GR area (we have about 50 placed dogs in that area alone), I'd imagine I know by whom...and again, it's because I don't spend my time combing Petfinder. I spend time fielding emails and calls, and working with my local shelter. We have a huge BYB problem, so much that the local hunting store allows weekend parking lot puppy sales, as well as you can find a litter of puppies in the local Walmart parking lot on any given weekend.

While I love to rescue, and I have great relationships with Lab Rescues all over the country, until I can find another group of folks willing to roll up their sleeves and get dirty, I need to keep things in perspective right now and hopefully help educate people on the difference between buying from a reputable breeder and one from the local parking lot.

At any rate, again, if you have constructive emails other than those that are pointing to a dog in a shelter, I'll happily communicate with you. I'm not super woman, nor do I claim to be. I love Labradors, and I do as much as I can to help them and spend as much time with them.

Sincerely,
Dani

I think there are several issues with Michigan. One being it is a big hunting state there are quite a few reputable field breeders with great pedigrees who do health clearances and title their dogs BUT they all sell with full registration and most field breeders don't take pups back although some are responsible and do. BYB's get a hold of these dogs and do their thing which means lots and lots of Labradors in the shelters in Michigan. It is a huge problem and one that one super hard working small rescue cannot really begin to address. Very difficult situation.

Dani, I've only heard and seen the best of you from the East Coast. I recall the chance situation also. You and Joan worked well together with others coming thru.

So whatever they're talking about, is not coming from us that know how hard you work at what you do.

All it takes is 1 to begin that kid game telephone we all played as wee ones. Remember the end of the message not being the same as it began?

Don't let them get to you. Unless they made the call, they have no right to say anything.

Temperament issues, if that bad don't belong in any of our homes. Why put other dogs or our human kids in jeopardy?

Keep up the great work. I hope donations and foster homes will begin to come in again at a better rate.

I *know* you do alot and I don't even live near you. So before saying things, others need to speak to you not some nitwit that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Don't forget to *try* LLL and Labmed, graphic links are kindly put up top by Jill, for medical help funds. Labmed is strictly for rescue dogs, not owned dogs and can be Lab mixes if they look like a labrador. LLL is a little different. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some are assuming they're out of money. I heard both are less per case but still around. If I'm wrong, it's stil worth trying their applications. I read about poor Slim and got ill, 31# 3 year old?

Keep up your great work. I'll be in contact.