Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pups first solid food

At what week do you introduce solid food(soaked)in your concoction preference?
Thanks

Re: Pups first solid food

3.5 weeks on average.

I just use whatever food I am feeding the mother, but well soaked (over night) and I use a blender. I don't like to mix in anything at first. Why make their digestive systems get used to multiple foods at once??? They are still getting most of their nutrition from mom. I just give one solid meal the first day, 2 the second, and 3 the third and thereafter.

3.5 weeks can turn into 3 weeks if a huge litter or if mom is having problems. Small litter and mom producing tons of milk, maybe wait until 4 weeks.

3 weeks exactly for a normal size litter.

For a very large litter, for example 10 to 12, I begin a couple of days earlier.

The first few days they don't eat much, they wear alot and try to clean it off each other. Let Mum do that when they're done.

Have fun with that first feeding.

Brdr 19
3 weeks exactly for a normal size litter.

For a very large litter, for example 10 to 12, I begin a couple of days earlier.

The first few days they don't eat much, they wear alot and try to clean it off each other. Let Mum do that when they're done.

Have fun with that first feeding.

What do you call a normal sized litter?
And also, how much do you let them eat for the first time? Do you just let them get the taste of it or little more than that?

A normal sized litter is 6-8 for us. We usually introduce soft food at 3 weeks. Pure mush. It is usually messy, and you go through a lot of waste... but once they get use to it, they slurp it right up!