Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
one last litter?

How bad would it be to breed an 8 year old girl, for one last litter? She is a very, very special girl, with all her clearances, and we for several reasons, just haven't gotten what we want out of her. She is in very good health, and has been a great mother. If we did this, we would do a planned c-section and a spay at the same time. Our vet is comfortable with this. I wasn't going to do this, but she's coming into heat, and we are considering it.

Re: one last litter?

Well if you vet was "comfortable" on doing a section and spay at the same time, my first thoughts would be.......Find a new vet! I don't know a single repro vet that recommends doing a section/spay at the same time.
Reason being the uterus at this time is engorged with fluid, removing that amount coupled with the fluid loss of the section can possibly put your girl into shock, even with an IV. Just as a note, I have seen it happen.
Personally I would have never considered breeding an 8 year old girl, 6 was the limit for us. If you have not gotten what you want from her after all these years, what makes you think you will get it this time?

I would not do a C-section on a 8 years old unless there are problems and it is absolutely necessary. If you do decide to do the c-section, then do not spay her at the same time. Death by internal hemorrhage is a common complication.

I agree, get another vet. Only psico PETA vets and emergency clinics recommend spaying after the c-section.

No, never spay during a c-section. The female's Vascular system has been cut open and too risky for bleeding to occur. Much too risky. I know of one female that died South of me from this a little while after returning to her home. Its very sad.

I wouldn't do a spay and c section at the same time at any age. Perhaps seeing a repro vet for a 2nd opinion would be helpful.

How many litters has she already had? Whatleads you to be believe this time she will finally produce what you're looking for? Just curious.

Sometimes brood bitches do better producing quality pups than finished Champion bitches. I couldn't tell you why.

I wouldn't risk it on a girl that precious to me. I already saw the difference in the last bitch I bred between whelping at just under 3 y/o and then at nearly 6 y/o. I was in the same boat, never really got what I wanted. Never produced worthy bitch pups to carry on the line. When she returned to "health" after her last litter and I thought long and hard about possibly doing ONE MORE, I felt she was worth more to me as a companion than dealing with the risks. We spayed and the healing was quick.

I would consider spending some time thinking about the joy your dog has given you rather than risk it for selfish reasons.

Breeder 24
I would not do a C-section on a 8 years old unless there are problems and it is absolutely necessary. If you do decide to do the c-section, then do not spay her at the same time. Death by internal hemorrhage is a common complication.

I agree, get another vet. Only psico PETA vets and emergency clinics recommend spaying after the c-section.

I did a c-sect/spay and VERY nearly lost my BISS bitch at 8 yrs old due to hemorrhage.....NEVER AGAIN

As far as a spay, we were going to do an ovariectomy, and that could wait. I do appreciate your feedback here, which is why I originally wrote. I do know of some breeders who have had litters on an older girl, if it is not her first. I guess I should contact Hutch or other repro vets if we are serious about this. I do hear your feedback, and this very well might not happen. Thanks.

I've done breedings with older girls in very good health and condition and you have to go in expecting for all possible outcomes. You may if you have learned from the previous breedings getting what you want from this litter. Planning a scheduled c-section is a wise idea, while yes it is a risk with any surgery, you will lessen the likelyhood of losing any puppies. My last litter with an older girl she was 8, had her largest litter-11 puppies all survived- and came back after a planned c-section looking so fabulous that my repro vet told me to wait one season before breeding her again(which I wasn't going to do but it was a nice compliment).
So to answer your question yes it is risky, just like breeding any bitch even a younger one.

As for the spay, I would wait before doing a spay or an ovarectomy, endocrinoligically speaking she would be better off leaving the ovaries and taking out the uterus, you'll still have "heats" but no risk of Pyo and she keeps the benefits of her hormones.

Pyo develops right after a season. So, if you have waited 3 months and the bitch does not have pyo, you can remove the ovaries and do not need to worry about pyo. Without ovaries to start the process, it will not occur.

The ovarian arteries are the toughest ones to tie off during a spay, in conjunction with a c section or not. I almost lost my bitch after a routine spay, when she started hemorrhaging from one of her ovarian pedicles. Any surgery is a risk, I, personally, would wait a few months to spay or even schedule her for an ovariectomy. At least the pregnancy related engorgement of the vessels will be less at that time.

My Champion produced a singleton litter boy, then on the rebreeding it didnt take. After research we decided to give it one last try. She was 6 and just turn 7 on the whelping. Good thing we did a planned C. One pup was a water pup, huge and would have never passed. We didnt get anything as nice as the parents from the litter. I wouldnt do it again at this age. I can really notice my girl has aged. It took allot out of her.

I would not, but you will do what you want. When was last litter, how many. I would have to think long and hard. Lots of good comments here, lots of experience. Just not worth it. Almost lost my mother dog also. Saying all the same things you are saying to talk yourself into it.

decided against doing the breeding......sigh.......thanks for all the input. :-)