Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy food

Hey there,
How long do you feed Pro Plan puppy food? And when do you stop feeding three times a day?
Thank you

Re: Puppy food

We dont feed pro plan. We stop the 3 times a day at 6 months old.

pups ares started out and are fed Pro Plan all stage and are cut back to 2 meals at 7 weeks.

Do you mean 7 months? Not 7 weeks, right?

labs
pups ares started out and are fed Pro Plan all stage and are cut back to 2 meals at 7 weeks.

I'm a huge advocate of large breed puppy food~ Eukanuba for years and now feeding Blue Buffalo. On it at least 1 yr and sometimes longer depending on the pup itself....but I've never fed it past 14months...

I feed 3x a day until they are about 16wks then they go to 2x a day like everyone else~ They are little babies at 7wks...They need a minimum of 3x a day feedings, IMO.

I feed Pro Pac Large Breed puppy. From 3 or 4 weeks I used to feed Performance Puppy from Pro Pac and than at 8 weeks I fed Large Breed, but now I am starting with the Large Breed puppy and I will feed them 3 times after 8 weeks, it really depends on the puppy itself on when I stop feeding the 3rd meal. I agree with Sherry, I too feed Large Breed until 9 months and up to 1 year, depends on the pup.

I feed Royal Canin Pro Medium puppy starter, and at 12 weeks switch to Royal Canin Medium puppy. I usually leave it up to the puppies to decide when I take them down to twice day. If they are messing around eating thier lunch and supper meals, I will switch to twice a day. Of course they are always hungry in the morning. I love the RC Pro starter. The poo hardly smells and a lot less waste than with any other puppy food and I have tried them all it seems like.

Pro Plan Puppy until about 6 months, then moved my keeper to PP Performance.

Re: Puppy food, large breed.

A Lab breeder once told me, Labs are not a large breed and they should not be fed a large breed puppy food. Any thoughts?

I have heard the same. I don't think it really matters since if you spend some time to compare the nutrional values and percentages, they tend to be almost if not identical to that of ADULT food. I think the statement should be more of you don't NEED to feed it, not necessarily that you SHOULDN'T.

Well, for me it's the better balance of cal/phos.. That's basically the biggest diff... We each do what works. I do not feel that every food works and the same for all lines..

And yes, we are considered a large dog breed because we reach and exceed the weight for it...today.

I have discussed feeding puppies with several vets and every one of them said the same thing. Labs are not classified as large breed. They said feed 3 or 4 times a day until 12 weeks of age and then cut back to 2 times and only feed puppy food for 4 months or 40 pounds.
The main reasons for this are so they don't get pano and don't grow too rapidly.

That's what Pro Pac Large Breed puppy is for, so the puppies wont grow too rapidly!!

Quote from Pro Pac Large Breed puppy:
"Calcium and phosphorous levels in PRO PAC ® Large Breed Puppy support a slower growth rate, to help minimize common joint and bone problems often found in large and giant breeds.
PRO PAC ® Large Breed Puppy is scientifically formulated to meet the special needs of puppies that will weigh over 20 kilograms at maturity."

I think it's important to read the ingredients and guaranteed analysis of the food you're buying.

I feed Pro Plan Performance all life stages from weaning on through adult. This was the first litter I started on the Performance. Used to feed the large breed puppy though 8 months of age. I saw a huge difference in substance and growth has been even and great. No up on leg puppies and out of different litters (3) 2 mine and another sired by my male. Weight at 6 months for male 58 lbs and females 55 and my 18 week old male is 42 lbs and doing very well. Pups are substantial but not overdone and very pleased with the Performance blend. Stop the three feedings at 6 months, too.