Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
re:Ideal time to breed

Semen is chilled: Thursday am progestereone 2.7 This am 6.3 Semen arrived this am as the weekend loomed,, then shiping second shipment today for Monday. Hold Sat shipment until tomorrow and Monday's til Tuesday? Or breeding tonite and Monday night? Camelot Farms is the shipping device. TIA!!!!!

Re: re:Ideal time to breed

Had about these same numbers and used Sat shippment on Sunday. Had a shippment collected Monday a.m. and sent for Tuesday. Had 10 pups:)Good Luck!

Does semen live longer in the frig or inside a bitch? I think a lot of people would argue to do the AI right away as the semen will be healthier in your bitch. I am not sure that science knows for sure though.

I would think that the semen would remain in a somewhat "suspended animation" status as long as it remained chilled up to some maximum amount of time. Once it thaws and is implanted, then the semen would proceed through their normal life cycle.

Not a biologist, but
I would think that the semen would remain in a somewhat "suspended animation" status as long as it remained chilled up to some maximum amount of time. Once it thaws and is implanted, then the semen would proceed through their normal life cycle.

The fact that semen undergoes a chilling process, stays chilled for some period of time and then is rewarmed, this semen is stressed more than fresh. Once the chilled semen is returned to optimal temperature, the energy spent to "reanimate" does result in a diminished longevity. So, no, chilled semen does not proceed through a normal life cycle. That is why progesterone timing of the bitch is critical.

Sat and Mon would be the days I would do - kind of late now for Sat