Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is the best way to condition your puppies

Who are close to a year without affecting their orthopedics too much.

Swimming is an obvious given, and proper diets - but is there any other secrets out there?

I have a couple that I want to increase their rear muscle and tight up their puppy looseness in their skin

TIA

Re: what is the best way to condition your puppies

I usually run them every night and throw the ball. Really helps with muscle toning. We also have an area that they can swim in.

I know it is a no-no but I let them jump up for hugs and let them jump and stand on their hind legs. Haven't had a problem (knock on wood) with bad hips, actually all turn out Good or Excellent.

Plenty of free exercise (running/trotting/walking) on secure, soft grounds where they control their own speed.

While I have heard the 5 minutes for each month rule (3 months =15 minutes), I am huge believer in free exercise. That being said, my pups are on grass, and on their own timeline. Hills build muscles better, but it is ALWAYS on the dogs own time, nothing forced about it. (and that is taking a leap in faith that the owner understands a pups signals

All I've ever done to condition youngsters is toss their bumper up this hilly portion on our property so they have to run up the hill. It helps their endurance level and builds muscle..it's all grassy area. Swimming is really the best exercise for young pups of any age but we don't have easy access to water all the time so I toss the bumper and then the dogs get all the free exercise they need by playing with each other.
I know some breeders who are afraid to let their young dogs play with each other or with the adult dogs because of the chance of orthopedic injury or torn cruciate. I worry about that at times to but my theory has always been, if the " Bits and Pieces " are not challenged then how will I really know if their sound ? I would never put my 8 week old pups out with the rowydier adults but when the youngsters hit around 6 to 7 months old, they should be able to be integrated with the big dogs.

My vet says not to let youngsters be with older dogs until 10 mos to a year.

just me
My vet says not to let youngsters be with older dogs until 10 mos to a year.

That's pretty much impossible for me here unless I crated everyone far too much during the day. Mine all run & play together, and so far, so good other than one injury years ago. I do try to referee when I can, but I work from the home too, so it's not always possible.

My acreage is well sloped, so my dogs do get good muscling trekking up and down that for several hours a day. I usually allow my pups to go on their first group walk once they are ~5-6 mos old and have a very good recall.