Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many times pr. day should...

...mom be nursing her babies at 4 weeks?

Re: How many times pr. day should...

have you started weaning the babies onto soft food?

Who's counting? You can bet she isn't. Remember, mother knows best. She should have access to them so she can do her thing.

Wean
have you started weaning the babies onto soft food?

Yes I have started weaning the puppies onto soft food. Mom can come and go as she likes to her babies... I was just wondering how many times per day is normal that mom is nursing her 4 week old pups.

She will know when to stop.

Is this your first litter? If not, how did she do the last time?

Breeder
Who's counting? You can bet she isn't. Remember, mother knows best. She should have access to them so she can do her thing.

~~~~
Absolutely agree...really! My mothers have always naturally weaned their babies. It's what I want and what they want. I have never removed my girls from their babies~ Lucky are those that get to stay as they get 'desert' up until about 12wks... : ) Large litters, I start at 3wks lapping then by 4wks totally softened blue buffalo large breed puppy kibble from there on out at 3x daily. Mom is nursing away as she sees fit and when. I do not withhold food from my mothers either. Now of course they are not eating the amount of cups daily(which is about 12-14 at peak lactation time) once I start the true weaning(kibble 3x daily) Her milk supply gradually goes down as they nurse less~

I've never understood unless it's a medical reason to remove mothers when weaning. It is amazing to watch the interaction, the teachings of mom to her brood, etc. Babies are better for it, IMO.

No not my first litter.
I never take mom from babies and I always let mom wean their babies at their own time.... that was basically not my question. It was a simple question on how many times per day is normal for moms to feed (nurse) their babies when they are 4 weeks old...

Hildur@Draumalands
No not my first litter.
I never take mom from babies and I always let mom wean their babies at their own time.... that was basically not my question. It was a simple question on how many times per day is normal for moms to feed (nurse) their babies when they are 4 weeks old...

~~~~~
: ) Sorry.. I really couldn't tell you as I've never counted. If I was to take a guess, I'd say maybe in a 24hr period at least 6x~ 1 in the early morn, 1 after each kibble feeding, a few inbetween there and 1 through the night. I have always observed the after kibble feedings 'desert' nursing.

Hildur@Draumalands
No not my first litter.

I don't think there is a normal Hildur. It depends on how many babies, how much milk she's producing, how much the pups are eating and the list goes on. If the pups look well nourished and she has access to them, I wouldn't worry.

I also don't count so I can't tell you how many times a day. She could be nursing for 5 minutes 10 times a day or 15 minutes 5 times a day. A lot of variables come into account per litter.

Ok, thanks for the replies everyone!
I do the same thing that you do Sherry... after each kibble they nurse on mom... she has access to them at all time. I would guess that she's nursing them probably from 5 to 7 times in those 24 hours.