Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SOS: double check Antivert/Bonine/ Meclizine dosge for 55 lb lab?

Our old girl is having a sudden bout of what looks to me like Vestibular Disease. She is sick to her stomach as well as really dizzy and falling. Regular vet will see her tomorrow morning. New covering vet said I could give her Meclizine, which is Bonine or Antivert. I found it in 25 mg tablets. The vet said to give her 560 mg twice daily. Yes, I double checked this and made the receptionist put the vet on the phone. I know that she has the degree, and I sure don't, but is this dosage correct? Dogs metabolize things differently, I know. This poor girl needs some relief, but I don't want to kill her or make her sicker! Thanks!

Re: SOS: double check Antivert/Bonine/ Meclizine dosge for 55 lb lab?

I have used 25mg/dog once daily.

Wow, my 85 pound bitch was given 25 MG of Meclizine, once a day, I found the prescription. She had vestibular disease.

Thanks! I will stick with one tablet, 25 mg, until I see the regular vet tomorrow.

My first dog had this when he was very old and the dose for him was 25mg.(He was 100#)
Sadly the first time it happened I took him to the ER Vet as I was worried it could be caused by something serious, they said it wasn't tumour based but wanted me to leave him there overnight so they could put him on IV's( he wasn't dehydrated and was able to drink) and put a urinary catheter in him (so they wouldn't have to take 2 people out for him to pee) and after I declined their $1400 proposition prescribed some Benadryl for him. When I asked her why she wasn't going to give him Antivert she said she didn't know whether dogs could take it.Hmmmm I'm paying you to be the expert??? With that I took my dog and left. At home he was given Antivert 25mg and within an hour was standing.Oddly while the Antivert seemed to really help him, it doesn't touch my vertigo episodes.Over the next couple of years he had a few more episodes and the Antivert always helped.

Holy cr*p is all I can say to 560mg for one 55lb Lab. I have lived with Meniere's disease for over 20 years and this is one of my primary medications when I have symptoms. It was originally a prescription only drug until about 10 years or so ago. The prescription form was 10mg tablets and the OTC form is now 25mg. I can honestly say that 10mg is enough for me, and the first time I took the 25mg tablet I was knocked on my a** for 48 hours. I could barely move, and going to the bathroom literally was falling off the bed and crawling to the bathroom. I weigh significantly more than your Lab and 10mg is my dose, so I think your vet's math skills are very questionable.

This vet wants you to give 22 tablets - I would talk to the primary vet tomorrow about the dosing of this medication by the newer vet - that dose would most likely kill your dog. The overdose symptoms in humans include seizures, irregular heart beats, hallucinations, excitation, coma and death. So you can see what an overdose of that magnitude can do to your 55lb dog. Top end dose for a human is 100mg. For me, as I am sensitive to that drug, I would be in the coma range with 4 tablets/day.

Mixed experiences
Our old girl is having a sudden bout of what looks to me like Vestibular Disease. She is sick to her stomach as well as really dizzy and falling. Regular vet will see her tomorrow morning. New covering vet said I could give her Meclizine, which is Bonine or Antivert. I found it in 25 mg tablets. The vet said to give her 560 mg twice daily. Yes, I double checked this and made the receptionist put the vet on the phone. I know that she has the degree, and I sure don't, but is this dosage correct? Dogs metabolize things differently, I know. This poor girl needs some relief, but I don't want to kill her or make her sicker! Thanks!

Get rid of that vet and get a 2nd opinion at the very least! That can't be right. My vet gave my old girl pred the 1st vestibular incident. She never needed it again, a slight head tilt now and then.

FWIW, she is resting comfortably on the 25 mg meclizine that others suggested was the correct dose. An hour after the dose, she still looked like a walking sawhorse, but she was WALKING out to pee without getting sick from vertigo. Phew! We shall see what the morning brings. Thanks again!

I think at first I may have given two but after that one a day for a few days. Bonine is wonderful for that. Best of luck, it is a scary thing when you have never had it. They get just fine.