Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Growing boys!! HELP!!

I have a boy that is about 10 moths old.
He was a gorgeous puppy.
Now, not so much. He is high in the rear, straight in the stifle and his tail set looks low and croup high.
None of this was the case at 8 weeks. In fact up until 5 months, he held together beautifully.
Do I give up?
Is 10 months the point of no return?
I see all those nice boy pups in the ring at the specialties in 6-9 and 9-12 and my puppy looks like someones not so attractive pet
I have limited space.
Advice from experienced breeders? Please?

Re: Growing boys!! HELP!!

Don't give up at this age, what you saw at 8 weeks is what you should see at 2 years.Just have patience, expecting them to look all balanced while they are growing will surely lead to disappointment. Some lines mature at different times, mine I wouldn't expect to look all that great at 10 months, usually they are still higher up in the rear and they look long, just takes time to all come back together. So take him out for experience and fun or keep him home and look at the picture of him at 8 weeks until he looks like that again!!

Don't give up now. You are right at the height of UGLY. Don't even look again until about 14 months.
That is a teenager and can they put away the food for the next few months. Take a picture it will not be the same dog at 18 months. Boys seem to change more. A year will even look better. Enjoy him.

My boy is 9 months and there are definately parts of him that do not look like what they did when I picked him. But I still like getting out into the puppy classes because this is going to be the only time a judge is forgiving and the dog can get REAL ringtime experience. Hanlding classes are fine, but you need to get the experience of working as a team. I already see the difference in my young one's showmanship!

I have a bitch puppy who is going through this, she is a big girl, bigger than her momma already ( at 10 mos ), and quite gangly....I have debated on giving up, BUT at nearly 12 mos now, I see glimpses of what she was at 8 wks....she is filling out and looking much better.
I have another girl 15 mos old who looks very immature...BUT her dam was the same, I nearly gave her away several times! glad I didn't, as she slowly matured into a gorgeous multiple specialty winner!
so, lesson learned....Patience!

Thank you for the replies.
This gives me hope.
But when you say gangly, do you mean just leggy or structural things like I am having such as the now low tailset and the straight stifle?
Once these things go his way, can they go back or is it just how the dog grew and how he will be?
I was studying his 6 week to 4 month photos last night. Boy he was lovely then

Boys tend to mature much later than females as a rule. High in the rear is commen and long looking. Certain lines grow so slow that a male won't reach his full potential until 2 years old. I have a GRCH that didn't even show until he was 2 years old from one of these lines and then kicked butt in the show ring and finished within a few months. Just remember its usually true "what you see at 8 weeks is what you are going to get when they are finished growing."

By gangly, I mean she has no substance, is leggy, and very immature looking. she did go high in the rear, which made her topline look soft too; now that her front/rear are leveled off, her topline has too, she is filling out, but definately aways to go.
If you saw photos of my specialty winning bitch at 1 yr and 4 yrs, you'd never believe they were the same bitch!