Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gassy or something else?

I have one dog who gets extremely gassy (burping and passing gas) for hours after eating.
He even appears to look a bit "Bloated", which is very distressing.
The first time I was minutes from going to the pet ER.
This has now been a regular occurrence lately. Not every day, but often enough. I have stopped adding water, I used to add it, but it makes no difference.
I do not exercise him before or after and only feed when he is calm. He does not inhale his food.
What could this be??
He is 5 and this is really scaring me.

Re: Gassy or something else?

Time for a check up.
Take a stool sample.
If all is well, change his food.

Stool sample was done. Negative.

Changed foods about a month ago. Same thing happening still.
I am afraid he is going to get bloat.

Anyone ever have this before that can provide details?

We saw this sometimes in rescues. Sometimes it was too much fiber, sometimes not enough. Sometimes it was a food intolerance. Sometimes it was worms having messed up the intestinal tract. Sometimes just adding Prozyme helped. How are his stools? From what food to what food did you change? Be specific on formulas, please.
You might consider a prophylactic worming with Safeguard. What is your worming/HW program?

Stools are perfectly normal.
Food was pro plan performance now is blue buffalo grain free salmon.
Happened on both.
I took your advice and have been safe guarding him for the last 2 days.
It's still happening.
Our dogs get monthly heartguard year round.
I am at a loss.

Charlotte K.
We saw this sometimes in rescues. Sometimes it was too much fiber, sometimes not enough. Sometimes it was a food intolerance. Sometimes it was worms having messed up the intestinal tract. Sometimes just adding Prozyme helped. How are his stools? From what food to what food did you change? Be specific on formulas, please.
You might consider a prophylactic worming with Safeguard. What is your worming/HW program?

You might try a pepsid tablet twice a day - about 1/2 hour before meals

Curious if you ever found out what wa causing your boys gas??

Gassy
Stools are perfectly normal.
Food was pro plan performance now is blue buffalo grain free salmon.
Happened on both.
I took your advice and have been safe guarding him for the last 2 days.
It's still happening.
Our dogs get monthly heartguard year round.
I am at a loss.

Charlotte K.

He could be bloating. X-rays would show if his stomach is full. He could also have food sensitivities. Chicken is a big one.

Try giving him beano's with his food to see if that helps, me might just have IBS but I would get him to the vet for a complete check up to see what is causing it, I have a friend who's dog had polups that had to be removed and cost her a pretty penny to do that

Try giving him probiotics. The health stores all carry good ones. He may need to have his intestinal flora changed and probiotics can do that.