Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nebraska LRC...

I thought I would get this out now. I am starting an LRC in Nebraska. I have contacted AKC and asked if they are accepting new clubs. They are. So I have decided that I am going to start an LRC here in Nebraska because it would be nice to have another LRC in the area. We meet requirements of being 100 miles from any other LRC and I am very excited to start this :) If anyone has any tips to help make this run smoother for me and the other members, that would be great!

Re: Nebraska LRC...

Good luck in your endeavors. I am not familiar with your area specifically. Hopefully you receive the feedback you are seeking and are able to get a good foundation of members willing to do the work.

I do have to wonder if the solution is yet another club? Seems to me there are too many shows and too many clubs and many are struggling and have been, even before the economy turned. I don't think the Central part of the country is lacking in Lab clubs which is why I pose this thought.

Our club's membership roster contains over 60 names. Of those 'active members' only about 6-8 do all the work and there is a LOT of work to do putting on a match (which you will have to do to put on a specialty) and running the specialty is an enormous undertaking. If you (or someone in the club) hasn't done this, I would strongly suggest getting involved in another club first so that you come with experience. Specialties typically lose money so be prepared to use provisional judges (not all that bad) or judges whose expenses are less and have raffles and other money makers planned.

I don't know that your area of the country has a lot of breeders and it may behoove you to become a member of your local all breed club and try to get them to hire good judges that will bring dogs to your show but not have to do all the work around the show. There are several breeders who have other breeds as well, and foreign judges that have the entire sporting group that would be good candidates.

With entries down to bare minimums at some of the current specialties due to the economy, it seems it would take a really big draw to attend a new specialty.

Good luck, Rachael!

Interesting, I have a letter dated 2/17/11 from the AKC that states that on 2/11/11 the AKC Board of Directors has put an indefinite moratorium on the licensing of new conformation clubs effective immediately.

I not received updated information about this yet, even though it's been over 6 months. I figured I would get another letter when this moratorium was lifted as I am an Officer of a new club seeking sanctioning. In fact, we had everything completed, ready to go for our first A match.

I would call AKC again. I would hate to see you do all that work for nothing.

I spoke with AKC addressing this issue specifically as I would not be planning on starting a new specialty club if they are not accepting new clubs. I said I had heard that they were not accepting new clubs and the lady I spoke to said that the information was incorrect and preceded to send me the information. I also spoke with Aneka McPhail in the AKC/Club Relations department and she did not tell me that information. I would send your information again or call. Maybe it is because your club is to close to another club like it. I did hear they were not accepting clubs that are similar and are within 100 miles of the like club. Maybe that is why they didn't accept your info? I don't know if this rule is new or not?

Rachael,

I wonder why you want a new club instead of supporting Shawnee Mission that is well within your area. You chose not to support the club's recent specialty so I wonder why you want another club. Have you gotten 20 people in your area interested in the club? A single person does not a club make.

I am well aware that a single person does not start a club. A club is a team much like a workplace. I do have several people interested in becoming members and I am waiting to hear from several more.

I am unable to support a specialty when they are 6 hours from me as many of the fun specialties that I loved going to last year are. I am unable to attend meetings because of how far they are and I like to be active when I become a member of a club or group. Also I do not have any puppies old enough to go.

I would love to become part of the Shawnee but it is still very far from me.

I am looking to start a club for fun and to get more involved. I am very aggressive when it comes to something I am passionate about and when I get my mind to something I plan on going through with it.

I am aware I am young and that is why I have chosen to pursue this. I am looking for help and advise from those that have experience and don't want to see a new club fail.

I am looking to make this club with very little drama and am looking for GOOD advise and would love help. That is why I know this is not a one person job :)

A club without drama. If only......

Right...I forgot the rest of us "old" people are not really passionate about this sport...that is why we go to such great lengths to put on specialties for people who will drive more than 6 hours.

Gotta ask...exactly how many specialties have you been to? Do you belong to your local all breed club so that you have an idea of what goes into putting on a show or even running a club? Have you even ever worked a show?

It is a shame that you won't support other specialty clubs in the midwest like SMLRC because of the distance but I am assuming you are expecting others to drive distances to "your" new club? Good luck...all you are going to do if this even gets off the ground is to continue to water down the already diluted entries. Most people budget what specialties they are going to travel to in any given year. Most of us can't afford to go to them all and since I don't believe there is a huge breeder population in Nebraska...I am guessing people are going to have to drive to your specialty.

Wow...ignorance really is bliss. Well you have been given some good advice here....but hey what do I know...I am old. Good luck to you.

Aren't you in the Omaha area or eastern side of the state? How is it 6 hours to the SMLRC show one way? I guess maybe with the detours this year because of the flooding but not normally? I mapquested it because you stated that it took 6 hours and that just did not seem right. According to that it would take about 3 hours. I sure hope the folks you think are going to support your club and go to meetings all live within a 3 hour radius...lucky you.

That exactly what I thought 6 hrs from SMCLRC. I find that hard to believe.....I think with the economy etc. that it would be best to work with an already existing club....Have you looked into that?

Have you called the LRC? I could be wrong but it's my understanding that AKC won't even look at your application if you don't first have the blessing of the parent club.

I do have to agree with other - 6 hours is not that far to attend a specialty.

I do not wish to have drama started on this post. So please if you are trying to start a fight on this posting then do not post it anonymously. Please E-mail me as I have OPENLY put my E-mail on my postings.

I appreciate those who have said positive things. I will talk to the parent club and see what I need to do. Like I stated in my original posting, I am looking for help to not fail at this because I feel that if people come together and give advise then I will graciously take it and hopefully have things run smoothly :)

And I ment to say 4 hour drive to SMLRC. Sorry for the confusion. I have looked into joining the "close" LRC's the requirements to be a member have detoured me from joining. I cannot make meetings like I want to with being a young person in college and working PT. It would be different if they were closer like 2 hours away.

I have friends in the local all-breed clubs and my plan is to have supporting entries at these clubs if they will accept and once it is licensed. The only way I can learn how to make this club correctly is if people step up and are willing to give advise that will help it in the long run.

No matter what you say on anonymous postings I will not be drug down like I have been so many times on this forum.

It is my experience that most clubs in the central part of the country, the Midwest, are regional clubs. There just isn't the dense population. Hence, most join clubs within a 3-6 hour drive. There are certainly clubs within your geographical location that those in your area can support. It might be more advantageous to go this route. It takes a lot of work to form a club and put on a show. Even in the largest of clubs you have the core members, usually 10ish, who do all the work. In the smaller clubs this core is like 3-5 people. It might be more beneficial to join a specialty club that's in your region. Your talents may be better used there....and much appreciated. In this area of the country it is not necessarily better to have more. As a whole the specialty circuit will have smaller numbers. Just my opinion....

Get over yourself, WOW, and other negative posters. Here's a news flash: this is NOT about you.

Suggesting that someone should drive 6, or even 3, hours each way to club meetings is ridiculous. Discouraging someone from developing local activities is dumb.

Stop being petty and small, and try encouraging someone for a change. You may even feel better about yourself. Heck, you may even stop hiding under a pseudonym and be brave enough to use your real name.

Another comment on something you said, you mentioned supporting all breed clubs, but you didn't mention BELONGING to all breed clubs and WORKING their shows. Trust me, from being a club member and a board member of both all breeds, a sporting dog club and a several breed clubs, WORKING a show, learning how to take entries, hire judges, hire stewards, plan ribbons, find a location for an event, getting OTHER club members involved to do anything so that YOU aren't the only one working, THAT IS THE CHALLENGE. A club is all about offering shows, and if you haven't walked in the shoes of someone putting on a show, then you have no clue what you are in for. Get some experience! I am not saying to not go through with the steps necessary to get a new regional LRC up off the ground, but be AWARE that with the limited help you are bound to get (since everyone will be interested but only about 1/4 of those will be willing to WORK) you could have a 2-5 year project on your hand before sanctioning. Just the facts.

Okey dokey "Mary". Overall, I think Rachael has recieved alot of really good advice...it is just not the advice she is seeking and thus she feels it is negative.

Rachael...it sounds like you are a very busy young lady...as most of us are...jobs, families and life outside of dogs. Many of us have careers and other obligations that we balance. It is all a matter of what you decide are your priorities. Maybe right now is not the right time for you to take on such a large project if time is an issue for you?

Being open to constructive ideas and a bigger picture is what "successful" adults do. Perhaps instead of jumping head first into this, get some experience under your belt and walk the walk so that you do you have some credibility when you talk the talk.

Like it or not...this is about relationships and if you alienate people because their experience and ideas don't align with what you want to do, it is going to make for a tough road.

Just go for it. But first make sure you have all your ducks in a row and 20 people willing to be part of the initial membership and board of directors.

Consider whether you want to have OB/Agility/Rally/Hunt Tests or just Conformation. The performance events sometimes are better money makers than conformation matches.

There is a ton of administrative stuff to do in the beginning, so be prepared to spend a large amount of time dealing with creating by-laws, member apps and procedures, event planning, raising money, etc. etc. The AKC takes all this VERY seriously and they read EVERY word you send them so it helps to be really organized and thorough.

If your group has the energy, don't let anything stand in the way. You can make it happen. And you don't have to be a large club. Nor do you have to ultimately have a specialty. You can decide what route you want to take.

My recollection of the changes the AKC made to new clubs this past summer allowed new breed specialty clubs, but kept them from doing stand alone specialties, at least for now. That shouldn't stop you as it will take 2-3 years to do all the pre-sanctioning events and reporting.

The LRC will be interested in what you are doing so definitely get them involved. I found that they did not try to get in the way, they were very helpful, in fact.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your input. There has been a lot of good information here. I do have several people that would be members that have worked at shows and have held positions. I personally, have been part of committees and fund raisers through my high school and college years. I enjoy the planning and am anxious to dive right in :)

I have gotten some of what I want to hear, but I have listened to all. I do not close my ears (or my eyes in this case lol) I like to get all the information I can so I can learn from it. I was more looking for information on how clubs started their by-laws and mission statements, and fund raiser ideas.

I really appreciate the discussion. I do not wish to have this new club take members away from other clubs, but rather I want to balance out the region. There is a big circle around NE, SD, and ND. I just want to have fun in the breed we all love :)

If anyone has any more information please feel free to E-mail me. I have gotten several E-mails and really appreciate the "face to face" talking about this.

Thanks again :)

Why do you all have to be so negative? I think it is great that more clubs are starting .. and having more specialties .. I belong to Multiple Lab clubs, here and abroad, and support them all. Sponsor classes and always take a big basket for the raffle table .. I appreciate having Specialties to show my dogs at. And am happy to go to more than several a year. I live in the Hinterland, and trust me, I am just getting warmed up at a 5 hour drive .. and even do that to attend All Breed shows ... Good luck with the new club .. it's a 2 day nonstop drive for me to Nebraska (have done it with horses) so likely won't attend, but certainly wish you all the best and much success ... Everyone else, stop being so darn negative all the time!!!! Yeesh.

Just to clarify.... When you write the word support I read it as joining the club as a member. I love going to specialties! Hated missing this years SMLRC :( I had a blast last year as it was the first I had been to.

I will have more specialty dogs when Jan/Feb hits. I just don't have the dogs to show to support the entries right now. Next year will be a better year with 2 or 3 boys and possibly a girl to bring and up the entries a bit.

Sorry for the confusion :) Blonde moment there lol