Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to get liquid Panacur swallowed! Help!

Any tricks?
My 95 lbs boy refuses to eat the granules or liquid no matter how we mix it into food and this stuff is t cheap!
We are now attempting to give him the liquid in a syringe. He refuses to swallow and let's it all dribble on the floor.
Now what???
Frustrated.

Re: How to get liquid Panacur swallowed! Help!

I usually don't have issues syringing wormer down, but I usually cover the end of the syringe in yogurt once the wormer is loaded in it and then give it to the dog. They love yogurt and before they even know what is happening the wormer is down them ..

do the same thing for a "pill delivery system" .. the dogs love the yogurt, and it helps the pills slide right down their throats.

My method:

Put the dog between my legs with his head facing outwards - same direction I'm facing. Squeeze my legs on either side of his ribs just behind his shoulders so he can't back out. Grab the corner of his lips with my left index finger and thumb, pulling it open into a "pouch". Insert syringe containing liquid into the pouch, angled towards his back teeth. Squirt it in, and then hold his head up from underneath with both hands, rubbing his chin and neck so he swallows. Once he's swallowed it, I release him from my leg grip.

P.S. I do this in the kitchen so area is cleanable! LOL!

I have used a packet of Forti Flora mixed in with the Liquid Panacur. It tastes great to most dogs and they don't mind it delivered orally that way. I use it for puppies and have used it with adults this way too. I have mixed it and put it on their food this way too and had them accept it. It jmixes well and covers the taste....95 pounds ... you may need two packets! ;-)

Mix it into a big dish of vanilla ice cream.

As you put the syringe his mouth, like on the side between the teeth and lips just blow on his face as you squirt it. Blowing on their face makes the swallow, works every time.

Have fun!

Light caro syrup. Pull a little up in the syringe after you have the amount of Panacur needed. Then swirl the tip of the syringe in the syrup. I find if I let a small amount of the syrup sit out in a bowl over night it gets real thick, and will coat the tip of the syringe nicely. Let your boy get a taste of the syrup by placing it against his tongue- then give him the panacur. The syrup will cover the taste and it will be down before he knows it. I also do this with my puppies- you do not need a lot- just a very small amount.

I mix it with karo syrup. If the dog hates it, use 1 can of food. Mix it well. He got to like that.
Fighting won't make things easier.