Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help! Any GREAT remedies for Kennel Cough?

My dogs have it, now how do I get rid of it.....asap??? Any great suggestions, so all 12 don't get it? Does it pass to humans? Please help with any suggestions. Thanks!

Re: Help! Any GREAT remedies for Kennel Cough?

you cant get rid of it until it runs its course.

Some dogs might have a slight hack for a day or so others will can get it severe and need cough syrup to help with the throat. When it gets severe we will add antibiotic NOT for the kennel cough but to combat any secondary issues from the sore throat.

Double up on the Vit C, or if you don't give any give them Vit C (one per day).

I get cooking ... I make chicken broth with as much garlic as you can stand (whose witch are you???).. I always make sure I have at least one package of chicken breasts in the freezer ... carrots and celery in the broth as well, and will throw in apples and a cut up onion if I have it .. they get it 4 X day .. works like a charm .. also strain all the veggies (throw out the apple and the onion) and chicken out and feed it to them on top of their kibble .. this was passed down to me by a long time breeder and I have had great success with it ..

What type of cough syrup do you use? I heard Robitussin.....

Spray the throat with Chloreseptic and put Vicks Vapo Rub in the nostrils, a couple times a day.
Works great.

We got it this summer. I had one dog at a show for seriously no more than 1 hr and he came down with it. He was the ONLY one out of the house exposed to outside dogs during that time. He gave it to 4 of the other dogs in the house. I found that giving 1 echinacea and 1 buffered Vit. C per meal to ALL THE DOGS, and then Robitussun DM (1/2 the human adult dosage, I used a Metacam syringe to pull the dosage from the cup, and then later I found cough pills) for the ones that were coughing made it run it's course really quick. Our oldest never got it and our second oldest only had it for a day.

I had antibiotics on hand from the vet just in case, but it never developed into much.

my puppy just started coughing yesterday. No one has been anywhere in 3 weeks!!
She seems better today, hoping it's a short one!

If you want to add some other holistic help, along with the extra C and chicken soup already mentioned, you might try making infusions/teas out of either peppermint or, for deeper coughs, mullein with a bit of honey added. Administering around a tsp or so 3-4 times per day.

Also if you are so inclined and like the smells, aromatherapy can be of benefit:
To Ease Coughs:
2 drops Eucalyptus(Radiata if possible)
2 drops Lavender
Boil a pot of water and remove it from the stove, use a crock pot with lid ajar or use a vaporizer. While it is still steaming, add 2 drops eucalyptus and 2 drops lavender.
Peppermint is known to kill some virus and bacteria so that could also be used (sparingly)

Raw (unpasteurized) honey does the trick. Every time she coughs, give a teaspoonful. Labs LOVE it and it soothes the throat.

I do a 1 tbsp.honey, 2 tbsp.real lemon juice, warm water and 3 drops hydrogen peroxide mixture 3x daily. If the dog won't drink it, I dip pieces of bread in it and feed it soaked. They love it after the first couple of dosings and that's all I use for drinking for several days. It works!!! Hardly a cough and no drugs.