Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mushrooms

Does anyone know how to treat your yard for mushrooms? They seem to grow in a matter of hours and I've been told they are toxic to dogs. (who will and do eat them)

Re: Mushrooms

The "treatment" for mushrooms is drying out your yard. You may need to put in drain tiles or something to carry the water out of your yard.

MWK

I'm not sure she can dry our her yard! The puppies are on pea gravel and the mushrooms grow right on top of it. Hoping there is something she can use to prevent them from growing.

If you can remove the pups for a day, wouldn't Round-Up work?? Lord knows it kills everything at our house!!

If you put a cover over the puppy pen, mushrooms won't grow there. It's the wet that's making them grow. I doubt Roundup would do any good because it's designed to go down and kill the roots. Mushrooms don't have much root. They even grow on the sides of trees if it's wet enough and the right season. Where I live, mushrooms seem to grow only in spring and fall. I check the dogs' area daily for them this time of year. My puppy pen is covered and no mushrooms ever grow there.

Sprinkle Borax on them, it works great and I have used it for years, doesn't hurt the dogs, doesn't hurt the grass, just kills the mushrooms and the spores of the mushrooms, you may have to do it a couple of times.

Thanks for the help!

Where, and how do you buy Borax?
I didn't know there was something that could be done to kill those mushrooms. I got my 9 years old intoxicated 2 weeks ago. Not fun, but she was fine 48 hours later.
TIA

Is Borax the same thing as Boric acid?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Our local Walmart and Ace Hardware has it. Walmart has it in the laundry isle, by the bleach. But you can also order it on line. Its a nifty product and is awesome for cleaning.

Thanks for the tip. I use Borax in my laundry with every load. I'll use it in the backyard. We have lots of scary looking mushromms this year that we've been picking up with the poop. My RV had a leak that's been repaired and I found a mushroom in there yesterday :(

Linda Vaughn
Sprinkle Borax on them, it works great and I have used it for years, doesn't hurt the dogs, doesn't hurt the grass, just kills the mushrooms and the spores of the mushrooms, you may have to do it a couple of times.

What is Borax? Come on guys - don't any of you remember Ronald Reagan hosting the GE Theater, brought to you by Twenty Mule Team Borax??? LMAO!!!!!!

I REMEMBER!!! So call me older than dirt TWO! LMAO...Also!

I have also heard sprinking powder laundry detergent over them...I like the Borax idea better, and it is probably safer also.

I live in a dry climate, but this year the excess rain has caused some shroom issues. They look like chanteurelles, but I don't dare try harvesting them.

Peroxide 6%, 1 part to 18 parts. Call Revival they have the mixture for kennels already made up and resonable.
Borax is toxic from what I've read and will kill the grass.