Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progestrone jump

Have a friend who girl was 10.6 test done yesterday and results today. How late is too late to breed using chill shipment?

Re: Progestrone jump

She may have already missed her, she may be ready.

There's no way to tell if you don't know when she hit 5.

I've sucessfully bred bitches in the mid 20s and also bitches at 12. Both done 2 and 4 days after 5.

You will probably be fine breeding any time from now thru Friday.

I'd say it's perfect timing. I've bred at 17 and 11 puppies resulted.

When was the last progesterone test and what were the results? Or was this the first test?

Breeder too
When was the last progesterone test and what were the results? Or was this the first test?
Op said progesterone jump which should indicate there was a much lower no. Op, I feel she still has a good chance. I've bred as low as single digits and as high as 29 . All had 8 or more pups.

It is all conjecture unless you know when she ovulated.

True.

I think whatever day she was 10.6, she very likely ovulated the day before.

2 days after she ovulated is perfect. You have up to 4 days if she read the textbook.

I have a girl who was 10.0ng on Mon and was bred on Tue and Wed and had 6 puppies. BUT I've heard that numbers after 5.0ng really don't matter. She could have ovulated 3 days ago or she could have ovulated yesterday...

the "new" talk from repro seminars is the number 5 is not the magical number, that the number 8 is the no going back or stalling point.

I am not sure if I roll with this new thought as I have always used 5 as my jump off and do quite well, but most of us do two breedings 2 and 4 days later.

any thoughts on this new idea of 8?

The "new" talk from repro seminars is more about the rise than the numbers. Still looking for a 5 or slightly higher, but a slow rise you breed later, a fast rise breed sooner. Some girls jump really fast, and the trend can have them at 15 or higher just the day after they ovulate, the slow risers may only be a 7 or 8 the next day. This is why is it important to get several progesterones so you can graph the trend of the rise for those hard to get pregnant girls.

My understanding is that bitches tend to ovulate at some point between 5 and 7, and sometimes as late as 10. It makes sense to me that for most bitches, 7 - 8 would be the "no turning back point".

I have been told and have experienced that after around 1.5 - 2, bitches often double every other day (but can still just as easily stall or go backward), but once they hit 5 - 7 they can double every day. But, I think the most important thing to remember is that every bitch is different.

I feel pretty comfortable that things will progress nicely after 2.5 and feel even better with a 5+. I generally stop testing with a 5+ if I am going to do 2 breedings anyway. If I were going to do just 1 breeding with chilled semen, I think I would do one more test.

labbies
the "new" talk from repro seminars is the number 5 is not the magical number, that the number 8 is the no going back or stalling point.

I am not sure if I roll with this new thought as I have always used 5 as my jump off and do quite well, but most of us do two breedings 2 and 4 days later.

any thoughts on this new idea of 8?

Technically ovulation occurs after the LH surge. Which may or may not occur when the progesterone hits 5.0 to 6.0. The two are not actually associated....but on average the surge occurs at this time, however, some bitches could ovulate at a different progesterone level.

I would be interested in hearing more. Do the repro vets now believe the LH surge is more likely to surge when the progesterone happens to be at 8?

Don't forget that the difference between a 5 - 8 might be 12 hours. 8 - 10 might be another 12 hours. The difference between a couple of points is a big deal early in the process. Once the bitch hits 5 - 7 (or whenever ovulation happens), the numbers rise so fast that the difference in a few points quickly becomes irrelevant.

Another Thought
Technically ovulation occurs after the LH surge. Which may or may not occur when the progesterone hits 5.0 to 6.0. The two are not actually associated....but on average the surge occurs at this time, however, some bitches could ovulate at a different progesterone level.

I would be interested in hearing more. Do the repro vets now believe the LH surge is more likely to surge when the progesterone happens to be at 8?

This should be doubly as important for those that stop testing at a 3.8 or 4.2 for example trying to save the cost of more tests. Remember a bitch can stall before 5.

If we're serious about getting a bitch pregnant, it's silly not to hit over a 5 ng. per ml. reading especially if 8 ng's or more might be the correct no. afterall.

I've heard the correct no.'s are 8 to 10 ng. per ml. I don't know that to be fact though, some repros say it is and others stick to a 5. Until we're absolutely sure, it's better to test more than less. Why waste your money on previous tests and the stud-dog owner's work collecting & shipping semen when you tell them your bitch is ready?