Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
underweight bitch

Does anyone have ideas/ recipes to put weight on a bitch before I breed her?

The Satin Balls look interesting, but this bitch vomits on beef so that won't work. She gets 3 1/2c of PPP each day and is still thin.

Dewormed / HW preventative monthly. Dewormed for tapeworms a month ago as a preventative. Healthy, active, muscled, just thin. She was not this thin before her litter a couple of years ago. Usually carries 70lbs and right now is ~60. She is not a huge bitch, but is within the standard. I would love to get that 10lbs back on her before she comes back in heat in December.

TIA

Re: underweight bitch

Have you run bloodwork and complete fecal analysis on her? Just a thought....

Feed her more of her balanced dog kibble. If she is an active dog 3 1/2 cups isn't much. Like people, some dogs just have faster metabolisms and need more food to maintain a healthy weight.

Run a thyroid panel to ensure nothing else is happening too.

Full blood panel + T4 all normal, fecals negative, stool formed on 3 1/2c / day, diarrhea at 4c/day. Have been feeding her PPP for a few years now.

Just wondering if there are hints about what I can add to her diet to fatten her up a little.

Try the Satin Balls with ground turkey instead of ground beef if she is having a beef protein issue. Good luck

Sometimes it's just like with us humans... some dogs are thin and others are not, no matter what you do ;)
I have always been on the thinner side, no matter what I eat and how much I eat, I'm still thin..

Why try to put 10 pounds on her before breeding??

Most need to take off 5 lbs before breeding. Big girls is one reason so many people are missing litters.

No this bitch is thin. She's thinner this summer than normal. No specific reason why. Her body right now reminds me of a lean active hunting line retriever - lots of muscle, ribs that could poke you, very much of a tuck up. 10lbs would do her good.

We can't help you. Get the bitch a complete check up with your vet.

And feed her more kibble. Dog food companies spend gajillions of dollars to balance diets. Why throw in this and that when you only need to feed her more of what is good for her. Oh and yes, do the full panel if feeding her more doesn't help.

Do Not speak for all of us. Op you need an internist.and Jean Dodds full thyroid panel. Don't listen to Breeder with a cap B for ,,,,