Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orijen Problem?

Has anyone ever had problems with Orijen Adult becoming moldy? I recently sent a new, unopened bag of Adult 80/20 with my dog's pro-field trainer. In about a week and a half after being opened it became moldy and had to be tossed.

I've been feeding this food for well over a year without any complaints and was surprised to have this happen. Any thoughts or experiences like this? TIA

Re: Orijen Problem?

Could moisture have gotten into the bag? Never have had this happen, nor heard of it happening before.

Ours has been fine. I am quite anal about keeping the bag very tightly closed though. Lots of rain here lately, everything is moist....

But, now that I think about it, my bags don't last a week and a half! :)

I don't feed it anymore but I've heard that complaint before.

I've been feeding Orijen for almost 5 years, one bag a week and have never had a mold issue. The only time anything 'odd' happened with the food was when it was particularly hot and I had left the food in the car for a week.

I'd venture to say they opened it, it got wet and they re-folded the bag.

I've been feeding Orijen for about 4 1/2 years, but I go through at least 2 bags per week of different products, Adult, Senior & LB Puppy, NEVER an issue.

I have never had a problem with mold and Orijen. I feed it on a limited basis only because of the price. To those of you who feed Orijen, how do you do this ecomonically? Wow! Expensive, but good stuff. Any suggestions?

We've been feeding Orijen and Acana (made by the same company) for many years and never had any problems. Yes, it is expensive but so worth it. We get together with other people and buy it in bulk (pallet) - helps to save for everyone.

Thanks everyone! I'm staying with Orijen!
CM wish you were near by ~ would love to
take advantage of your bulk price.

This company is in our own backyard so that helps a lot too! Are you taking advantage of their breeder program/discounts?

No! How do you go about getting a breeder discount?
My supplier doesn't offer one.

Bdr
I have never had a problem with mold and Orijen. I feed it on a limited basis only because of the price. To those of you who feed Orijen, how do you do this ecomonically? Wow! Expensive, but good stuff. Any suggestions?

The money that I save on vet visits, skin supplements, ear washes and medications etc. pays for the food. I also am a breeder member, I buy 3 bags at a time and get a fourth through my local co-op.

Never any trouble with the food. Not once and they don't go around making things complicated, they don't change the food every 6 months and don't add things. The bags aren't getting smaller and costing more.

Email the company; they will enroll you in their breeders program - buy 6 at a time, get a 7th free.

No problems with Orijen and mold but one of my dogs couldn't tolerate the minor change made last winter to the adult forumula and she got itchy. The other dog is doing just fine on the new formula.

I've been using Orijen Six Fresh fish for five years now. Call the company, enroll as a breeder. If you buy 6 bags at once, you get a 7th free, on the spot. If you then average the cost over 7 bags, it's not that bad. Plus I spend ZERO on ear products, skin products, etc. I use Murphy's Oil soap with aloe and a bit of witch hazel added for baths. That's it- no hidden costs. No fleas. Just very healthy dogs. Four litters raised on the stuff, no allergies.

I have been feeding Orijen now for 3 years and NEVER had any problems. Go through about a bag a week and always transfer into an air tight container after I open the bag.

I am in PA, so if anyone wants to purchase in bulk let me know. Best food on the market!!!!

Going in with others for a pallet (and it can be a mixed pallet of different kinds AND puppy) is the only way to do it with more than 1 dog.

Going in with others for a pallet (and it can be a mixed pallet of different kinds AND puppy) is the only way to do it with more than 1 dog. Find others who are interested and get together and share.........saves many ways, but financially AND the health of your dog are foremost.

Wow! I agree about the health benefits, but would love to know how you make up your bath recipe. Would you share?