Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brother 1/2 Sister Breeding

Just wondered if and why people who do half sibling Breedings and rave about the pups but when a newbie. Like myself does it I get chastised?
Isn't this the way to keep type?
Both of the dogs have all clearances so I don't get it.
My pups are handsome and full of type, so I am not sure why I get so much flack over this?
Thoughts on this welcome, Mike.

Re: Brother 1/2 Sister Breeding

it is a touchy subject and most breeders believe a great deal of knowledge of the pedigree is required to be sure not to double up on bad genes. as a newbie how would you know what skeletons are in your closet?

although Labrador folks frown on it, I have friends in shelties where it is done all the time.

One of the things that you are not considering is that you are only working based on your couple's health. You need to go at least 3 and better 5 generations to know what is hiding there.
Still, sometimes, only by doing this kind of inbreeding is that you can find out what is in your lines.
That is the system that was used before DNA and technology existed.
At the end, you are the one taking the risk. If it becomes a nightmare, then you learn and move on.

The flip side is that I find that alot of folks are pretty quick to jump on flogging anyone for anything. There are the folks that secretly whisper that they can't believe "Insert Famous Breeder Name Here" did this or that. And there is the double standard of a newbie can't breed a dog on prelims, yet folks do it all the time. Blah blah blah. So get a thick skin because I don't think you'll ever get away from it.

But yes, pedigree knowledge is required and it can be a bad combo if you don't know what's back behind the lines. It could also be a good one. Folks have had OOPS litters with dogs they would never pair and have fantastic litters. Folks can pair what looks like the most fantastic pedigree match and end up with a litter of pet pups with no redeeming show qualities at all.

Do your best. Don't intentionally do harm. And just know tht no matter what, someone somewhere will always be talking about you behind your back. Welcome to the world of dogs.

You are not Anon4this, you are Mike!

me
The flip side is that I find that alot of folks are pretty quick to jump on flogging anyone for anything. There are the folks that secretly whisper that they can't believe "Insert Famous Breeder Name Here" did this or that. And there is the double standard of a newbie can't breed a dog on prelims, yet folks do it all the time. Blah blah blah. So get a thick skin because I don't think you'll ever get away from it.

But yes, pedigree knowledge is required and it can be a bad combo if you don't know what's back behind the lines. It could also be a good one. Folks have had OOPS litters with dogs they would never pair and have fantastic litters. Folks can pair what looks like the most fantastic pedigree match and end up with a litter of pet pups with no redeeming show qualities at all.

Do your best. Don't intentionally do harm. And just know tht no matter what, someone somewhere will always be talking about you behind your back. Welcome to the world of dogs.

Thank you for such a nice and intelligent response.
You are a breath of fresh air for this place!