Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sick puppy ?

I have a 3 week old puppy that started hacking a bit late last night. Did it a couple of times then ate and went to sleep. Just woke up in the middle of the night and she's hacking again (normal temp).

Going to call the vet first thing in am but any thoughts? Can it be KC? Mother and pups have been isolated from other dogs. I wash my hands constantly, change shoes coming into the house, etc.

Re: sick puppy ?

Yeap, it sounds like KC.

So what would you do for a 3 week old? Antibiotics or just see how they progress? Isolate it from siblings or too late now? TIA

I had one catch it at about 10 days of age. He wasn't running a fever and was still eating good but a little coughing and was really congested. I treated him with a little cough medicine and benedryl. The coughing stopped real quick but I had to keep on with the benedryl for several days. I used the liquid and the look on his face was so funny because he hated it of course but it did the trick. I would give it to him and in as little as 5 or 10 minutes his little nose would be dry and you couldn't hear him breathing. I only had to give it to him 2 or 3 times a day. Debbie Darche, DVM

Thank you. Fortunately, the pup never hacked after that first night, so don't know what it could have been. Maybe something went down the wrong way.

We had this happen with this past litter. The little boy did the same thing and it was a once and one. He is now a 14 lb boy and just think he had something in his throat. Glad your puppy is over it. e

Maybe he swallowed one of his mother's hairs while nursing. Glad your puppy is doing well.