Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Excessive Licking

My two year old male Lab licks me excessively. It's gotten worse lately but he's always been a "licker". He even tries to lick my legs while he's walking behind me! If he is laying under my desk, he's licking my legs. Laying on the bed, he licks my face or my feet until it gets extremely annoying. I've never had another Lab, or any dog, who has done this. Lately when he starts doing it, I tell him to stop and move away from him, but I'd like to know if this is normal behavior and it's just part of who he is. He's not a real "touchy feely" dog and could care less if he gets petted. Even though this behavior seems submissive to me, could it actually be dominant behavior? I've never had a male dog before...

TIA

Re: Excessive Licking

Yes, It is dominance. You need to shoo him off. Don't walk away from him. Make him walk away from you.

Licking soothes the dog when the dog is worried. It will often become more intense when the dog experiences loss or maltreatment. The dog is trying to
reconnect.

Thanks! I do think, although this is a fairly easygoing dog, that the licking is dominant behavior. I also believe he has dominant tendencies because of the fact that he never seeks petting or cuddling. He tolerates some petting but never asks for it.

He has never suffered any loss or maltreatment, although the licking does seem to increase and be almost frantic when I'm really annoyed by it. I had been allowing him to lick up to a point and then told him to stop but he takes advantage of being allowed to lick. Over the last several days I've been telling him to stop and moving the body part away from him that he is licking (pulling my leg, face away if I am sitting down) and it seems to be helping. Since I've never had a dog do this before, I am curious as to the whys and wherefores of it. Behavior issues fascinate me.

Not to be funny but could it be he just likes the way you taste? Consider the soap or lotion you use...or maybe just the salt on your skin. You could try some YUCK or Bitter Apple to break him. The key is to give him a good taste by spraying some in his mouth....some people think that just putting it on what ever they want them to stop mouthing should stop them and find that it fails. Reason being it is just a small amount they get and that is why it does not work, if they have had a good taste a little taste will remind them they do not like it. Give him a good taste and spray it on your skin (test a small spot first to make sure you do not have any issues with the product) You may have to do this for several days (including giving him a good taste), when he licks you and gets a taste (you will know if you watch his mouth and face)- make sure you follow with a verbal command such as "No lick". Soon you should be able to just to use the verbal command. I have a very oral boy, he is not dominate, nor worried - just very affectionate. Because he does Therapy work, I had to break him of the habit and this is the method that worked for him. Of course I also taught him when it was okay to give "kisses" too!

Thanks, Patty. He knows all about Bitter Apple and I've considered putting it on (especially) my face just before I know a licking bout will occur. I don't use lotions or perfumes - just Ivory soap, but I suppose he could just think I taste good! LOL I don't mind a little licking but sometimes it gets really out of hand. When I want a kiss, I tell him "kiss". I'm concerned mostly about when the licking gets kind of frantic. Telling him to stop as soon as he starts seems to be helping. Good luck with your therapy dog! That is such a wonderful thing to do. I had a chocolate girl who visited Alzheimer's floors of a nursing home for nine years. Although it could be sad at times, it was very rewarding.

In an otherwise healthy dog, excessive licking (whether it results in lick granulomas or annoyed humans) is often considered by behaviorists as a variant of obsessive compulsive anxiety disorder in dogs.

Here is an excellent article about OCD:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/compulsive-behavior-dogs

Link doesn't work!

oops, sorry. should read WebMD in the link I
corrected my original post and the link works. Kate

Thanks again!

Kate, I read the article and it really doesn't fit my dog. He actually spends very little time licking me, but when he does, it's excessive.

My mother and father's dog was actually put on Prozac because of OCD. She had a lick granuloma on her front leg that she would not leave alone. Our vet surgically removed it and we kept a sleeve over it for months which helped but the minute we took the sleeve off, she would lick it again. She was put on Prozac for a month and the behavior seems to be modified.

Anyway, I do understand OCD behavior and my dog's licking behavior does not fall into that category. I'm sure there are other people who could live with him and never be bothered, but I can only take so much, especially on the face. He's beginning to respond to my commands to "stop", so I will keep working with him.

Thanks again for your interest and your help.

You're welcome. Glad your dog doesn't have OCD. It is really hard to treat.

Good luck. Kate

LOL! My boys Grandmother would eat Ivory soap. We use to have to hide it or make sure the bathroom door was kept shut. I'm glad that things seem to be progressing in a positive manner for you. I understand it can become a very irritating nuance! Good luck!