Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yet another question about progesterone.

My friends bitch was 0.8 early Tue and 3.2 early this morning. Not sure IF they are doing another test on her. What would be your guess on the best timing to do AI? Would you wait until doing the AI next week or would you start this weekend?
I know it's a pretty wide window, but any suggestions would be great
TIA

Re: Yet another question about progesterone.

I did a breeding last week, numbers were very similar. Hopefully another progesterone test will be done so you know that the bitch has continued to rise (looking for that 5 ng). My bitch was 0.1 on Friday, 3.1 on Tuesday and 6.0 on Wed. I bred her Friday and Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Good luck!

Anon
Would you wait until doing the AI next week or would you start this weekend?
I know it's a pretty wide window, but any suggestions would be great
TIA

I would do another progesterone for a chilled AI, fresh is a different story.

I am a stud owner and I have personally seen 2 bitches go above the LH range (one was 2.8 and one was 3.2) and then go back to baseline for a day or two. It is unusual, but it's not unheard of.

If you are going to go through the trouble and expense of a breeding, test until she's 5, then there is no guessing involved.

Start breeding on Saturday.

Breeder

We will breed with fresh side by side. I talked to her today and got her to test her again tomorrow so we'll see what her numbers are tomorrow.

Same Ng.
I did a breeding last week, numbers were very similar. Hopefully another progesterone test will be done so you know that the bitch has continued to rise (looking for that 5 ng). My bitch was 0.1 on Friday, 3.1 on Tuesday and 6.0 on Wed. I bred her Friday and Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Good luck!
You did it rite. Chilled or side x side you should always test until 5.0 at the least. We all know why. I hope your rewarded with a nice size litter.

Anon
Breeder

We will breed with fresh side by side. I talked to her today and got her to test her again tomorrow so we'll see what her numbers are tomorrow.
Sounds like you gave them sound advice..

I am betting she reached 5.0 some time on Wednesday. You are testing again on Friday and if it goes up the typical 5 per day after hitting 5.0, she should come in around 15 plus or minus a little.

As much as we pay for all this am testing again. Why put the stud owner through no pups or yourself. We are so blessed to be able to do chill and breed to the very best dogs that match with what we want for our breeding programs. I don't understand not testing. Side by side you still want to know if you are really wanting the pups. They can stall or rise very fast. No guessing here.b89n

As much as we pay for all this am testing again. Why put the stud owner through no pups or yourself. We are so blessed to be able to do chill and breed to the very best dogs that match with what we want for our breeding programs. I don't understand not testing. Side by side you still want to know if you are really wanting the pups. They can stall or rise very fast. No guessing here.

Normally, I'd predict she'd go from 3.2 to 5.0 in 2 days but as you've heard, they can stall. I've got a girl right now who was 2.2 on Mon. If she had repeated her trend from last year, she'd be at 5.5 after 2 more days, but she was only 3.7ng on Weds. Since dealing w/a weekend, I ordered the chilled semen to be shipped, and will get her covered late Friday and do another progesterone to confirm ovulation (and will have another shipped on Fri for Sat delivery). The next possible appt time for AI is Monday so I think we'll have her covered well by then provided she ovulated today as I would suspect. But, if we have to ship another, what the heck... we have so many options these days, why not take advantage of them?

She was 5.1 ng early this morning. So when would you breed with side by side AI? And we are thinking about doing more than 2 breeding's.

It takes 2 days minimum for the eggs to mature so typically you'd do chilled between +2 and +5 days. Not as critical w/ fresh since we know the sperm lives longest when fresh. But... if there is any truth to breeding early for girls, etc, I suppose you could take that into consideration.

Personnally I would breed her on Sunday and Tuesday.

We will be breeding her today, Sat, Mon and possible Tue :)
Thanks for all the advice's and answers!!

Anon
She was 5.1 ng early this morning. So when would you breed with side by side AI? And we are thinking about doing more than 2 breeding's.

As long as the boy you are using has decent sperm you don't have to wait. In fact, I always try to breed early for girls with fresh/healthy semen.

I bred one of my girls at a 3.2 and again at a 4.8. She had 11 pups, and 7 were girls.

stud owner
Anon

As long as the boy you are using has decent sperm you don't have to wait. In fact, I always try to breed early for girls with fresh/healthy semen.

I bred one of my girls at a 3.2 and again at a 4.8. She had 11 pups, and 7 were girls.
Bred with fresh side by side are 5ng. Again 3 days later, 8 pups, all girls. Then again I've bred at 18ng, 8 girls 2 boys. So what does the timing really mean, do you want a litter or a possible miss trying for more girls? I would breed days 2 & 4 after 5ng or once at 3 days after 5 ng.

Thanks for the info people!
We did AI side by side today and since they have access to the stud, they will be doing another tomorrow. I'm wondering when would you do the last AI.. on what day? Mon or Tue?