Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
$86 for 29 lb bag of Orijen - Am I paying too much?

Local store charges $86 for 29 lb bag of Orijen Fish. Is this what others pay? Just trying to find the best way to buy this food because I do like it. The breeder program is buy 6 bags at one time, so forking out $516 at one time for 7 bags of food is hard pill to swallow. Can you order it online and get it cheaper somewhere?

Re: $86 for 29 lb bag of Orijen - Am I paying too much?

I'm not sure where you come from, but here in Rhode Island there is a company that ships dog food. The Orijen 6 Fish 29.7 lb. bag is $79.99 per bag. check out doggiefood.com. you can call the owner "Tony" to see about shipping and breeder specials. He has a HUGE selection of organic and all natural foods, treats, raw and lots of other stuff!

To each their own but I have been through the "GREAT" mine is better than yours food revolving door. I have paid $98.00 for a 3olb bag of food. I have been in dogs for 50 years and Labs for 30. My honest to God experience is this, very few dogs have true food allergies, the dog food companies and Vets are making a killing. My dogs live to be 13 -16 years of age with good health. Their coats are lovely, joints fine, teeth in great shape with out having to brush them, stools small and firm. I am feeding 9 Labs and they all get the same thing, they are both sexes and all ages.............now hang on to your hats.....I fee Purina One Chicken and Rice and I get a 44lb bag at BJ'S for $36.99!!!! I love my Labs they are Champions, Grand Champions and Group winning. I jumped off that food train when I watched my dogs in the yard and field they will eat anything and do, I also do NOT have poop eaters and that seems to be a big problem in the Breed. I have a friend that feeds a very high priced food that has to be ordered all natural, no anything, and that dog eats ever pile of poop it can get! Lovely breath on that one. LOL I am not saying any food is bad, I am sure it cost the Company a ton to make so they have to sell it for more. An argument about dog food is like trying to talk politics, you will never change their mind, you just have to experience it on your own. Like I did. Good luck and I hope you find a lower price!

That noise you hear is my applause. I use a little different product, but similar formula and results. Maybe we have just been at this so long we take a more common sense approach.

You sure are lucky. I used to get Purina One Lamb and Rice at my BJ's. Now all they carry is the blended shredded whatever junk.

my cousins poodle lived to be 21 on Purina One...
I was going thru the holistic foods company by company-no different results other than looser and more frequent poops-am thinking of just going back to ProPlan.
Any long time breeders still feeding that with good results?

Bdr
Local store charges $86 for 29 lb bag of Orijen Fish. Is this what others pay? Just trying to find the best way to buy this food because I do like it. The breeder program is buy 6 bags at one time, so forking out $516 at one time for 7 bags of food is hard pill to swallow. Can you order it online and get it cheaper somewhere?

IMO this is too much to pay for fish by-products and (sometimes) farmed fish. Don't be swayed by cleaver marketing.

**We recently signed an exclusive arrangement with Alberta based Champion Petfoods, whereby we sell all minced by-products to them and they in turn buy all the product we have to offer.

We began working with Champion in 2005 when we sent them samples of minced by-products for testing after it was extracted from fish during the filleting process. Prior to sending the product to Alberta, we had been paying to have the waste trucked to a rendering facility in Winnipeg.**

http://www.freshwaterfish.com/system/files/L2PNewsletter%20Winter%202011.pdf

The OP asked about pricing of the food she prefers. I don't use it either but I won't come on here telling her other brands to use. She's looking for price comparisons.

I wouldn't use Purina One either. I had a dog of mine become deadly sick on it a long time ago. The food had gone bad be it at Purina or in the store, regardless I never used it again. My boy had frank bloody diarhrea 8 hours after eating it. When we smelled it, there was an odd odor.

I won't use a food that costs $80 a 29# bag either but none of those questions were asked.

So far I see $80 which is $6 less for her Orjen Fish 29#. Anyone else able to get it cheaper, if so where?

Bdr
$86 for 29 lb bag of Orijen Fish.

All I can do is shake my head.... And they say vets are money gougers.

You need to move to Alaska, a 29 pound bag of Orijen is only $65 dollars at our local pet food store.

Depends if it is Regional Red (all meat) which is the highest. I think at the highest it is $83.00, then Fish is $77, then Regular Orijen is $65.

I too also feed Orijen and I also feed the grain free Acana and TOTW.

Recently I noticed at Costco has a formula that is grain free and Salmon based called Nature's Domain. Its not exactly the same, but the same premise.

You might try it, so far, we're happy with it, and its $34 per bag.

They also have a turkey based formula.

Check out www.heartypet.com