Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tail carriage

I have a 5 week old puppies. One of the puppy who's very nice is carrying his tail very high, and it is almost like his tail "curl's" a bit over his back... but only the tip of the tail. Should I be worried about this at this point?

Re: Tail carriage

A lot of babies carry the tail high to balance their bodies while mastering walking and running.
Wait until the puppy is 7-8 weeks. If the tail is still going up like that, then it will be carried like that when the puppy is an adult.
This is based in my experience. maybe other lines work different.

Last year we had a litter in which all of the tails were carried just like you describe.It was the first time I had seen it.The tails flipped over their backs like husky tails!My keeper and all of the pups I have seen all now carry their tails normally.The sire is a swedish import,not sure there is any connection,but they now have proper tail carriage.????

Breeder
A lot of babies carry the tail high to balance their bodies while mastering walking and running.
Wait until the puppy is 7-8 weeks. If the tail is still going up like that, then it will be carried like that when the puppy is an adult.
This is based in my experience. maybe other lines work different.

That might be the reason as he's still pretty wobbly.. more so than the others.
Is it normal for pups to be wobbly at 5.5 weeks of age? I mean I know it is but sometimes I think he is acting like he's drunk...

Cathy Montgomery
Last year we had a litter in which all of the tails were carried just like you describe.It was the first time I had seen it.The tails flipped over their backs like husky tails!My keeper and all of the pups I have seen all now carry their tails normally.The sire is a swedish import,not sure there is any connection,but they now have proper tail carriage.????

I sure hope it's the case with this pup... he's got some really nice structure but when he's our and about and running with his tail like this... I'm like... ughhhhh
LOL

I have had litters in the past where almost the whole litter would have happy tail at 5 weeks. It is a scare until you realize alot do for a while at that age. Some litters may only have one or two and by 7 weeks you forget you even noticed it. They also say look while they are eating, if the tail goes down they are fine. Did not think about the balance but might be. Best of luck. Let us know. Bet it goes away.

I have a six week old litter and of course my pick girl carries her tail way up with a slight curl over!
If she still does it at eight weeks should I conclude that the tail will always be carried that way and look at my second pick instead?

Well I have to say that my foundation girl did this as a puppy. I brought her home from the breeder at 8 wks and I think she did it until she was almost 12 wks old. Once it went down it stayed down and she never carried it high as an adult...straight off the back and nice and straight. Ironically almost all of her litters did the same thing. So I think sometimes it is just how a line developes. It is not uncommon for my puppies to do this...I don't even notice most times. You can tell if a puppy has a high tail set vs just carrying it high as a puppy.

My Experience
Well I have to say that my foundation girl did this as a puppy. I brought her home from the breeder at 8 wks and I think she did it until she was almost 12 wks old. Once it went down it stayed down and she never carried it high as an adult...straight off the back and nice and straight. Ironically almost all of her litters did the same thing. So I think sometimes it is just how a line developes. It is not uncommon for my puppies to do this...I don't even notice most times. You can tell if a puppy has a high tail set vs just carrying it high as a puppy.

How can you tell if a puppy has a high tailset vs. just carrying it high as a puppy? What is it you look for?

When can you be sure about the tailset on a puppy? At what age? Can you see a bad tailset at a young age or does it come later on as they grow?

I have a drop dead gorgeous girl who is 14 months old. Her tailset is correct, when she is free baited it comes off her back perfectly, but when she gaits it pops up like a flag pole. I have had several AB and Breed Judges tell me she is gorgeous but they could not give her WB because of her tail carriage. She has 1 AKC Champion point. The girl is lovely in every other aspect. I am praying it will eventually go down.

I don't think puppy tail carriage can accurately predict what the tail carriage will be as an adult. I've had puppies whose tails curled over their back at 7 weeks of age only to go down and be carried straight out as an adult. I've also had beautiful tail carriages on puppies only to have them go up like a sickle as an adult.

While I prefer a level carriage, our standard has stated for many years that it may be carried "gayly". I've finished several champions, under breeder/judges who have carried their tails gayly on the move. As long as it's not too distracting on the move and is lower when stacked, it should not be considered too heavily when considering a dog for points. Some judges hate it and others look past it and reward an otherwise outstanding dog. I've also seen multiple specialty winners who carry their tails high when moved.