Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kudos to everyone involved in the National

A big thank you to everyone who worked so long and hard to put on this year's LRC National. I had a great time meeting new friends, greeting old friends, and admiring the many beautiful Labs. Kudos on a job very well done, and thanks again for making it happen.

Barbara

Re: Kudos to everyone involved in the National

I wasn't able to attend, had to settle for being grateful for those results folks were kind enough to post on FB and elsewhere. It's nice to see when people who attended the show thank the people who put it on, a little positive feedback goes a long way toward future efforts to bring shows to everyone and toward the camaraderie in our fancy. I heard nothing but nice things about the show. Congratulations to everyone who were in the ribbons and to the show committee.

I also attended the National and want to say thank you to everyone involved in organzing the show. We had a great time and are very appreciative of all of the hard work and planning that went into making this show a success.

It was wonderful seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The cheer and support for everyone that was in the ring. And seeing so many wonderful dogs!

There are a few things that I am disappointed in:

- lack of ribbons: There was yet another miscommunication between the club members and Rau dogs on who was making the ribbons) so there were several pictures taken without ribbons because they didn't exist and were going to be mailed along with the trophies that were forgotten about.

Fix: Improve the communication next year and going forward

- state basket auction: It wasn't until 9pm at night! Even though the auction raised 2600 dollars, and Jen L did an AMAZING job organizing the gathering of all of the baskets, the participation in the auction was weak. And therefore a lot of money that went into the baskets were wasted.

Fix: Do it right after the classes during a Meet and Greet.

- raffle: The raffle started during the classes at Noon, and went on through BOB. How was anyone suppose to participate when they were busy in the rings?

Fix: Do it along with the auction

- Best Puppy/Brace/Stud/Brood classes: There were barely any dogs in attendance for these classes because everyone left right after breed

Fix: Put these classes before Breed

....that the BOB (among tons of other classes) was held indoors, while the sun was shining outdoors.
I was told that they "didn't want to move everything back outside". Like what? There were NO RIBBONS!
I was always under the impression that if the premium states all classes held outdoors, they are to be held outdoors.
I have, on more than one occasion stood in the pouring rain showing my Labs and this show should have been no exception.
There are certain dogs who do not show well indoors and those dogs may not have been entered if the show was advertised as being held indoors.
JMHO FWIW.

Even if your suggestions are well intentioned (and I think the first Disappointed fits in that category), let the organizers bask in their achievement before raining on their parade. They deserve our thanks.

As one who automatically received a large number of the emails going back and forth regarding the National from day one (and who did NOT participate in getting the show together,) I was humbled to see all the work that went into its organization. Anyone who has a complaint should volunteer for the next NE National and help make the decisions that will later be second-guessed. FWIW, I count myself lucky that others put themselves out so that I would have a chance to attend and enjoy myself.

"let the organizers bask in their achievement before raining on their parade." While the organizers are basking in their achievements, so should the competitors. And some of them aren't because they dont have anything to show for their success.

I don't think anyone meant to be mean, but showing inside on mats is not the same to some people (and dogs) and they may have felt at an unfair disadvantage since they entered and outdoor show.

I am sure the clubs thought they were doing everyone a favor by keeping them warm and dry and we appreciate that however gesture, but the fact remains that it was advertised outdoors and should have remained there.

The judge actually was the one insisting that we be inside because the one ring was flooded, and he considered that a safety hazard.

What would they have done if there was no building, like at most shows??

So the next time it rains at Potomac or Mid-Jersey - we'll move the show inside?

I think that it was a poor decision. Just as many people could have fallen on wet mats as well.

Breed classes were not indoors during Nationals. Are you confusing the National show with the Regional Specialty which was held on Friday?

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the specialty and appreciated the things that were well planned there were way too many things that were poorly planned.

1. We arrived first thing Monday. Had planned on buying a sweatshirt and could not believe they only had a hand full of size medium. They were sold out of all of them the first day. Too bad for people arriving later in the week. : (

2. They ran out of qualifying ribbons the first day. Rally folks got rosettes early in the day but obedience and rally got flat ribbons until they ran out? Why? : (

3. No title ribbons. : (

3. No duck bands for the hunt test qualifiers. : (

4. Why were the agility and the hunt test participants not listed in the show catalog? : (

5. The show booklet said that the dogs participating in the "dog for all reasons" would get a poster. No posters arrived apparently. They did not say anything. We had to ask about there it was. At least we were told they would mail it to us but I feel badly for the folks that didn't ask and might not be getting one.

While we enjoyed the activities during the week, I have to completely agree with "Disappointed as well."

1. It was an embarrassment to run out of qualifying ribbons at a National event on the first day of Rally/Obedience competition.

2. No new title ribbons! Really, at the National? Local clubs often offer new title ribbons, but our breed's National didn't?

3. I agree that it was disappointing that agility and hunt test exhibitors were not listed in the catalog. At a National event, I think all exhibitors should be listed in the catalog.

4. The premium for the Working Certificate test stated that Rosettes would be awarded to those who qualified. However no Rosettes were awarded, as they were not ordered. WC qualifiers received the LRC working certificate and ProPlan slip lead as advertised, but how can they not award a Rosette that was advertised in the premium? Participants should get what they paid for in their entry fee if they qualify!

5. There was confusion about the start time of the WC test. The premium clearly stated that the test would begin at 9:00 AM, however those who arrived for a 9:00 AM start-time were told that the test wouldn't begin until 10:00 AM. I thought that the information in the premium had to be followed, but apparently not.

Overall we had a good time, but we were disappointed in the less than stellar way these things were handled at a National that is supposed to be special!

disappointed as well
Although I thoroughly enjoyed the specialty and appreciated the things that were well planned there were way too many things that were poorly planned.

1. We arrived first thing Monday. Had planned on buying a sweatshirt and could not believe they only had a hand full of size medium. They were sold out of all of them the first day. Too bad for people arriving later in the week. : (

2. They ran out of qualifying ribbons the first day. Rally folks got rosettes early in the day but obedience and rally got flat ribbons until they ran out? Why? : (

3. No title ribbons. : (

3. No duck bands for the hunt test qualifiers. : (

4. Why were the agility and the hunt test participants not listed in the show catalog? : (

5. The show booklet said that the dogs participating in the "dog for all reasons" would get a poster. No posters arrived apparently. They did not say anything. We had to ask about there it was. At least we were told they would mail it to us but I feel badly for the folks that didn't ask and might not be getting one.

While I do agree with much of these posts.. I think the scheduling of the agility,obed and rally at the same times made things very difficult for those of us showing in multiple events. There was also no communication set up(Walkie Talkies) between the outdoor agility rings and the indoor events making it quite stressful to keep running back and forth across the fair grounds to not miss either walking courses, performing or doing sits and downs.

Oversights like not having the agility dogs in the catalog and not inviting the agility judge to the dinner Tues. night with the rest of the judges was quite unfortunate. I did not know what to say as I apologized to our agility judge on Weds. morning.

Still Thankful for all the hard work everyone did at the National as we did have a good time !!

FYI...According to AKC RULES GOVERNING DOG SHOWS if a prize.... ie ribbon rosette trophy etc. is listed in the Premium List and or Catalog IT MUST BE AWARDED........... Therefore the Rosettes
Ribbons Posters that were not given out (for whatever the reason, no excuses with AKC) but WERE LISTED MUST BE MAILED to the winners. The Poster which was LISTED to be given to all Exhibitors I do believe falls into this same catagory because it is part of an AKC entry!
I know this is good news to unhappy exhibitors and a royal pain in the buns for the Hosting Clubs.
If Rally and Hunt Test classes were not in the catalog
then the show supertendent (Rau I think) I feel owes the hosting clubs some sort of a refund because they caused unhappy attendees which reflects on the clubs. I don't believe this sails with AKC either...perhaps they could be fined for their omissions?

The ribbon fiasco falls squarely on the LRC, not on the regional clubs. The LRC refused the suggestion that they let the superintendant supply the ribbons, and insisted that they would provide the ribbons. Now they have to fix their mistake.
It's a shame that the parent club, after all these years of "planning" the National, would make such a glaring mistake.

That's what I thought too. The Rally & Obedience exhibitors who didn't receive a qualifying ribbon due to a shortage were told that the ribbons would be mailed to them. Not the same situation with the WC rosettes. There was no mention of the rosettes until an exhibitor inquired about them, as it was listed as a prize for qualifiers in the premium. Apparently there weren't ANY rosettes for the WC qualifiers and it was my impression that they didn't intend to order any. That just doesn't seem right, especially at the National event.

NHL
FYI...According to AKC RULES GOVERNING DOG SHOWS if a prize.... ie ribbon rosette trophy etc. is listed in the Premium List and or Catalog IT MUST BE AWARDED......

I'm sorry for wrongly thinking the mistake was made by Rau over the rossettes. I would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE someone who earned a rossette call AKC and let them inform the LRC what the rules are and WHAT THEY MUST DO TO COMPLY. I would suggest that the LRC put a link on their website for people who have Rossettes or ribbons due to them be able to sign up in case they (LRC) say they have no way of knowing who is due what!

I was at the National as well. They did get in some qualifying ribbons on Thursday or Friday so I picked mine up then. However they were FLAT ribbons, not the promised rosettes.

I also was in multiple events and agree that it was a problem first for the times they were scheduled at and second the distance between agility and rally/obedience/breed rings and no communication. They say they want exhibitors to compete in multiple events and give the Dog For All Reasons/Challenge awards but make it very hard for those of us who are in those multiple events to make our ring. 2 years ago the National committee staggered those events and they were held 3 days in a row. Agility started earliest, then obedience a couple of hours later and rally started late afternoon/early evening. That lessened the conflicts for all.

I had two dogs qualify for Dog For All Reasons awards. Usually you get a certificate, a pewter plate and a poster handed to you as your name is called in the ring. That never happened. Before I left Friday I asked about this award. I was informed the board members involved weren't even there any more and someone else might have the pewter to take to the hunt tests. I tracked that down and got my two plates but she said no one ever gave her the posters, no one knew anything about the certificates.

I am going to pass all the above issues on to the person that I know who is chairing the national next year and hope these can be avoided.
Deb H.

Did you or your dogs attend the National NHL?

My Premium said All Qualifying ribbons for Rally/OB and Agility would be flat.

The placement ribbons would be Rosettes.

This was the first time in attendance at the National for me or my dogs. I have to say that overall I was very disappointed in the event. I have no doubt that the organizers worked very hard at putting it together, however in my opinion it still fell flat. No ribbons - don't care who was responsible - is simply a ridiculous situation and a GLARING oversight. These wins were special and to not have a win picture with a ribbon in it is ludicrous. So much for using that photo of a prestigious win for advertising/promotion ... Still waiting for some of my ribbons to arrive in the mail as well as a trophy .. wonder if it will be a used one like some of the others friends received appear to be... Really - recycled trophies at a NATIONAL specialty?
Also agree with the points made by earlier posters .. a lot of work and money went into the baskets .. it was such a shame to have the auction that late at night when so many had already left .. score for the buyers, tho' !!!! I really have to say that in the grand scheme of things, I did not feel that this was a well run show at all ...