Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Courtesy Between Breeders

We have been looking around and talked to some very nice breeders about their stud dogs. Probably 5 or so black males.
We have chosen one as of today and wondered what stud owners would prefer from us who call and take up your time asking questions etc.?
Do you want to know we chose another boy or no contact?
I appreciate how all the breeders were so open and nice to us and I want to know what is the best protocol between breeders when this happens. I don't wish to offend anyone but rather thank them for their time and in the process not make them upset or feel like their boy wasn't nice enough.
Stud owners??

Re: Courtesy Between Breeders

and let the other stud owners know that you have chosen another stud, and thank them for their time

As a stud owner, I always appreciate when someone sends me a sweet e-mail to say that they've decided to go with another stud.

Depending on the time you've already taken up by calling, I would not call a stud owner to apologize for picking another stud.

I once had a bitch onwer call me several times to discuss my boy, everything from his feet to his poo were discussed in some lengthy calls. She decided to go with another boy (which is fine, I'm a bitch onwer too and know what the process entails). She called me to apologize for not choosing my boy and that was very annoying to me because as she was apologizing for taking up so much of my time, she was opening up another long phone conversation.

It's nice to be honest about going with another dog, but be respectful of their time too.

I would just say am starting to look around. That way you are not even saying you want to pick that dog. That way if I never heard from you again I would just figure you picked another. Now, if you take up all sorts of time and act like that is the one, yes, maybe let them know you found another.

Gee An e mail thanking me for my time sure would put a few GOLD STARS in my book by your name

NHL, I am sure others would appreciate the same from you in all venues of the breed........plain old, courtesy.

YOU WHO ONCE AGAIN HAS NO NAME BUT WANTS TO THROW MUD AND THEREFORE HAS NO CLASS, LET ALONE ANY MANNERS ONLY SERVERS TO REMIND OLD TIME BREEDERS, WHO HAVE A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE TO SHARE WHY WE SOULD NOT TAKE PART IN A FORUM THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE PEOPLE TO SIGN THEIR NAME. WE OLD TIMERS HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF, WHY WE SHOULD NO LONGER MENTOR, WHICH SADLY IS A LOSS TO THE LABRADOR BREED!

People call, come visit, email all the time to inquire about stud dogs. Until they are actually testing and making definite plans I let it go in one ear and out the other.
No contact is necessary unless you have made specific plans.If you change your mind at that point it is pretty rude as the stud dog owner may have turned away another breeding at that time.

Just sayin'.