Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Using a "Runner" at an AKC show

Last Friday at the show on the day after the National, I tore the meniscus in my right knee while in the Bred By exhibitor's class. Wanting to continue to show my girl, I thought I could continue in the Bred By class and have someone move her for me, a “runner.” After a short discussion it was determined that because it was a Bred By class, I could not use a “runner.” Therefore, I limped around and eventually won a very competitive Bred By class. In the winner’s class, I enlisted the aid of a “runner.” Just before winners started, I was told by another exhibitor that I would only be allowed to use a “runner” (in any class) if I had a letter of approval from the AKC indicating that I was disabled. I left the dog to be shown by a friend but thought, how could there be no provision for an injured exhibitor. Well… I called the AKC judging operations department first thing this morning and there is no provision for an injured exhibitor to be helped in the ring by a “runner.” The only way anyone can use a runner is
1. be disabled, not temporarily injured and
2. have a letter stating such from the AKC.

Re: Using a "Runner" at an AKC show

Ask the steward to ask the judge. The judge may not care.

In the Bred By class, any and all handlers, employed as a runner, etc, must be breeders and owners of record of the dog being shown. It is not up to the judge to alter the rules.

rules, winners. Re: Using a "Runner" at an AKC show

"The person handling the dog in this class must be a
breeder of record and an owner of record of this dog.
In any subsequent classes for which a dog from the
Bred-by-Exhibitor class becomes eligible, there are no
restrictions as to who may handle."
OP was okay with what she did, and it was good of her to check. Hope that knee heals fast. Are they doing clones of one's own knee meniscus yet?

Anyone seen Best in Show? Just a little levity. If a exhibitor can prove that there is an injury, maybe, just maybe the rules can be adjusted for the situation. Just throwing it out there.

BBE
In the Bred By class, any and all handlers, employed as a runner, etc, must be breeders and owners of record of the dog being shown. It is not up to the judge to alter the rules.

So even if the owner is officially handicapped, they can't use a runner in the BBE class? I've seen it done many times unsure of the status of the different owners, officially handicapped or considered injured.

I was told that in an instance of an injury, if you were entered in BBE you could use a runner to move your dog but that you had to be on the dog while it was being examined by the judge. Have no idea, but this was done at a specialty last year. As well, I was at a show where someone got injured and they were in BBE. They went to the super, and because of the circumstances, Onofrio let them switch to another class so that someone else could handle their dog.

It does happen that some people will use a runner who is not an owner or breeder of record on a dog in the Bred By class. However, this is in violation of AKC dog show rules.

Cheryl
Last Friday at the show on the day after the National, I tore the meniscus in my right knee while in the Bred By exhibitor's class.

So sorry about your knee, Cheryl. I know that injury
can be very painful--and require surgery to be repaired. I hope you are getting good care, and I appreciate that you need to be cautious walking.

First, congtats on your BBE class win!!

I finally got around to having a MRI done on my knee that started giving me a problem around this time last year (blame it on my new saddle fenders/stirrups not being completely "turned" yet). "Lateral torn meniscus". Don't know how your tear is, but after nearly a year my knee is doing a lot better and I'm hoping to avoid surgery or steroid shots. After the first ortho visit last year, they just sent me home with a "page" of exercises to do. Seems like it's taken a long time to get here, but hardly ever limp anymore, do have some ache if I sit too long (feels better if I keep moving), have a little instability if I hit a pothole or rut in the field and maybe not as fast getting up from a kneeling position on the floor. Like the ortho surgeon told me, just because something shows up on MRI doesn't mean one has to have surgery, you'd know when it's time to have the surgery.

LOL Remember kneeling down at Potomac last year to snap some pics and having to yell for a friend to come help me get up, although wasn't so funny at the time.

Take care of that knee. Hope you can avoid surgery.

Charlotte K.
"The person handling the dog in this class must be a
breeder of record and an owner of record of this dog.
In any subsequent classes for which a dog from the
Bred-by-Exhibitor class becomes eligible, there are no restrictions as to who may handle."
OP was okay with what she did, and it was good of her to check. Hope that knee heals fast. Are they doing clones of one's own knee meniscus yet?

I'm entered in an upcoming show where there's a Best BBE competition. Anyone know if I happen to win Best BBE in breed if I can leave my dog with a handler for the BBE group competition? Per the above quote it appears it would be possible, but I'm not sure if the BBE groups are different. Anyone know? If I do manage to win I can ask the rep at the show but thought I'd ask here while this was being discussed.
TIA!

Midwesterner
I was told that in an instance of an injury, if you were entered in BBE you could use a runner to move your dog but that you had to be on the dog while it was being examined by the judge. Have no idea, but this was done at a specialty last year. As well, I was at a show where someone got injured and they were in BBE. They went to the super, and because of the circumstances, Onofrio let them switch to another class so that someone else could handle their dog.

I'm still waiting to go into BBE with a dog and a runner as I haven't had someone else who was also breeder of record and an owner to help me. Hopefully with Raven, Renee and I will be able to take her in!

Earlier this year, I was at a show, and one of the exhibitors in my class had had an injury the day before. He is an elderly man, and he was having a real hard time getting around. After we did the initial go around, and he had set up his bitch to be examined, they brought in a "runner" who took the dog down and back, and around. I guess it is up to the Judge.

Laurie
Earlier this year, I was at a show, and one of the exhibitors in my class had had an injury the day before. He is an elderly man, and he was having a real hard time getting around. After we did the initial go around, and he had set up his bitch to be examined, they brought in a "runner" who took the dog down and back, and around. I guess it is up to the Judge.

Again, just because this has been done, it does not mean that the AKC rule governing the BBE class can be changed by any individual. If a runner, other than a breeder and owner of record, is used, anyone can legitimately lodge a complaint. Not too long ago at Potomac, a BBE win was taken from the person who was given the blue ribbon because a runner was used who was not a breeder and owner of record. If you have any questions, you should read the rules and if still unsure, ask the appropriate person at the AKC.

Was Carrie Eberhardt at the show? LOL

Laurie

It isn't up to the judge. The AKC rules are clear, it's not supposed to be done.

I was at the National and watched Cheryl in severe pain do it herself *and* win the class on the merit of the dog. Kudos Cheryl! For those that called it a sympathy win, you can go scratch your dog's back end. I overheard it said ringside.

It is not up to the judge. If the judge at the show you attended made that decision, he or she obviously wasn't aware of the AKC rules and should be.

The BBE class is the only class I know of that forbids a runner on the dog unless they were a breeder of record of that dog. Just because certain breeders are allowed to do it doesn't mean it's right. I'm glad this was brought up as I hope the judges unaware of it won't allow it anymore and the exhibitors reading here, *will* be aware of it.

anon

By the way, Carrie was not at the National that I noticed and I don't know why her name was brought up with an *LOL*. I didn't find it amusing and don't understand the thought process behind it. Whoever posted that, I hope it happens to you eventually. Lets see how you like it.

anon

This is truly a mean spirited and unnecessary comment. Perhaps you should invite Jesus into your life and let some of your anger and animosity go. I'll pray for you.