Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feeding puppies

How many times per day do you feed 6 week old puppies? Do you feed 3 times? or more? And do you know how much you are feeding them each time?
TIA

Re: Feeding puppies

I feed 3x w/ bedtime treat at this age. They learn the word treat really quick... About a 1/2 cup per puppy at this age but you'll soon go to 1 cup per puppy by 8wks.

What kind of treat do you give them?

Puppy biscuits....they get about 3/4 each~ My reason for this is two-fold....It puts a little something on their bellies through the night(though my moms hang out in a recliner but can get into them if she wants) and they know the word 'treat' by the time they leave for their new homes. Puppy doesn't know his name yet so I tell them to use the word 'treat!' and they'll come running : )

I also feed 3 times a day, but I feed enough so that there is always leftover. I want to make sure each pups gets completely full. I never want to see all the puppy food gone. And I also give puppy bisquits as treats.

Same here, with a treat and milk before bed.

I also am still feeding 3 times a day at 6 weeks, about 1/2 - 3/4 cups per puppy.
I increase very slowly so not to bring on loose stools.
by 8 weeks they are brought down to 2 feedings a day, not decreasing the amount per pup per day.
I do this because most family routine allows 2 feedings a day.

I call my pups a certain way with each feeding, it helps round up the group when outside and my buyers say it is a great back up call when they really need to catch attention.

Yeah....Before I start the biscuits for 'treat' word. I, too, have a way prior to that to 'round them all up' .. They learn early on the sound of my fingernails tapping on the center of their saucer pans : ) So when I allow them access to their play yard, they come flying through their dog door at meal times. Any S/S pan tapping brings them runnin'..

But I want to teach them the word 'treat' too so the owners don't have to carry around an S/S pan to get them to come to them when out n about..

We free feed our litters. They tend to self limit.
Has worked really well for us.

would never be able to fee choice my litters, they would have the runs none stop plus I dont like fat pudgy puppies.

Ok thanks guy's.
I fed mine 3 times today+ they are still nursing on mom.
Oh and also... when is the last time you feed them before night time?

I am surprised someone feeds 8 week olds just 2 times b/c new families will be able to do that easier than 3 times. I insist that puppy buyers be able to give lunch and a potty break...doesn't have to be right at noon but a break at least halfway though the day. I ask about the potential buyers schedule and life style before we go too far in the discussion. If they can't be there or hire someone to be there halfway through the day no puppy. I've had folks tell me they would be going to work at 7 and getting home at 4:30. I tell them to find a puppy elsewhere.

We feed twice per day and give a treat about an hour before bed time. We work and are away from home during the day and cannot get home for a lunch feeding. I do wean them from Mom later so this does make a difference... they are not completely off mom until close to 7 wks. She has access to them but she spends longer time away from them (her choosing) as they get older.

I begin offering puppy gruel at 3 1/2 - 4 wks...smaller litters often don't have interest until they are older because Mom is keeping them satisfied. My pups don't go home until 9 wks. They do fine on this schedule and I have been doing it this way for over 12 years.

My point is that there are different ways to handle...there is no one size fits all when it comes to decisions on raising a litter.

Another Perspective
We feed twice per day and give a treat about an hour before bed time. We work and are away from home during the day and cannot get home for a lunch feeding. I do wean them from Mom later so this does make a difference... they are not completely off mom until close to 7 wks. She has access to them but she spends longer time away from them (her choosing) as they get older.

I begin offering puppy gruel at 3 1/2 - 4 wks...smaller litters often don't have interest until they are older because Mom is keeping them satisfied. My pups don't go home until 9 wks. They do fine on this schedule and I have been doing it this way for over 12 years.

My point is that there are different ways to handle...there is no one size fits all when it comes to decisions on raising a litter.

I must agree with you.

I also only feed pups twice a day. They grow well, adjust well to their new homes and I have never had any problems.

Feeding free-choice is out of the question. Pups should not over-eat and they will eat until they are sick.

MWK