Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question on Choc. puppy coat color

Hey you long time Chocolate Breeders!

Will the coat color of a 4-6 month old Choc. Lab puppy pretty much be the color they will have as an adult?

Other than bleaching done by sun and the orange cast when they blow coat.. is the pigment pretty much set by that age?

New to the brown dogs...

Re: Question on Choc. puppy coat color

Yes. In my experience, that is the coat color you can expect. Eye color will darken till they are about a year or so.

breeder
Yes. In my experience, that is the coat color you can expect. Eye color will darken till they are about a year or so.

Yes, I agree as well.

look at the color on the inside ear flap. This is your dogs true coat color with out sun bleaching.
but make sure the pup has lost its puppy fuzz off the head, that is always a bit lighter by this age.

I have had eye color on chocolates continue to darken until age 2 or 3.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies!

My chocolates eyes tend to darken until they are 2-3 years old as well. I have given up trying to figure out coats. LOL I will say I have been supplementing mine with brewers yeast and their coats are the darkest they have ever been.

I've had coat color on my chocolates darken until about 1 year of age. Not on all but on several.

As the OP didn't ask about eye color I'll leave that be.

Your puppy might darken some more 'til about a year old. Especially if she doesn't have full adult coat yet. I have 6.5 mo. pups that don't have anywhere near full adult coat. They just began blowing their puppy coats in the past 2 weeks. Their adult coat that is just beginning to come in near the base of the tail and croup is a darker chocolate. It's of a different texture, harsher and not as soft as earlier. They have a ways to go tho and I've seen this before.

The puppy buyers sending photos of their pups I see and hear the same thing. They're still wooley looking. Once the puppy wool is gone, you'll start to see true adult coats and color. Genetics can be a factor but I've seen the same using different chocolate or Bc lines. Jmho.