Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can someone clarify this AKC rule?

If I kept a puppy from a litter that I bred with a judge's dog, am I allowed to show under the puppy under the judge? I heard that you cannot show a dog under a judge who the lines are from. I own the female and she owns the male, I bred my female to her male and kept the puppy from the litter. I was hoping to enter an upcoming show but there is now a judge change and the judge is now the owner of the male I bred to...is this against AKC rules???

Re: Can someone clarify this AKC rule?

There is no rule against it. It is done all the time!

There is a conflict of interest issue at hand in my opinion, but one thing to keep in mind, I think that with the way so many of us buy semen from breeders that we have NOT personally met, I think if you made a purchase from this breeder but don't personally KNOW them, I would show the dog to them BEFORE you introduced yourself. But then once you HAVE met face to face, you SHOULD NOT show to this judge again.

If you have met face to face before and they will know YOU when they see or meet you, it is not right to show the dog to the judge.

But in the event there is any gray area in your mind, I would opt not to show the dog to the judge.

"But in the event there is any gray area in your mind, I would opt not to show the dog to the judge."
Of course, if there is a change of judge, you can withdraw your dog and get a refund, minus fees, if you do it in advance. An email to the super can suffice. Online results may show change of judge next to your dog's entry. If you are at the show, do it before the show starts. See regulations concerning "change of judge."

Why don't you just use your head and have some ethics. Whether or not you want to be the "talk of the town" or not, you should not show to a judge whom you have a "relationship" with. Period. In my book it's unethical.

This is always discussed on the forum if you just take a search back on some posts.

There is a rule that you cannot show to a judge that you have done business with, within 6 months of the show.

Just use your common sense.

I do not personally know the judge, I just knew who her male was, and decided to breed to him. The puppy would have to be six months before I enter her into the show, and the show I picked will take place when she is a little over 7 months. I did look in the AKC rule book (did not read every page though) and I didn't see anything in the way of this situation. All I found is that if you are a family member of the judge you cannot show under them, I have only met this judge once. We did the breeding then collected for a second breeding and I did an AI for the second breeding. I would be very surprised if the woman remembered me. It seems like it would not be a problem to show under her?

Situation 1:

The judge puts up your dog. It will be seen as favoritism (even though you state the judge wont remember you etc)

Situation 2:

The judge does not put up your dog. It will look like the judge doesnt like his/her own stud's offspring. So then it might make potential stud users not want to use him if the judge doesnt even like what he produces.

Just dont do it. There are SEVERAL shows that you can go to. Do the right thing for you and the judge and the dogs.

The catalog will list the puppy's sire and dam. Anyone who sees that will know who the stud dog belongs to, so win or lose, like someone else said, it will raise doubts in some people's minds about your ethics.

Lose-lose
The catalog will list the puppy's sire and dam. Anyone who sees that will know who the stud dog belongs to, so win or lose, like someone else said, it will raise doubts in some people's minds about your ethics.

Her ethics? What about the judge's? Please don't put the judge in the position of being a target for people who don't have enough to do. I guarantee they will have their name and ethics smeared all over this forum through no fault of their own. I know from personal experience.

People show to the owner of their dog's stud dog all the time, especially at specialties. There are a few studs that have been used so much I doubt the stud owner knows who most of the puppies are. Unless you are continually breeding back and forth or have an ongoing relationship, I don't think it is unethical at all. I have shown to my dog's stud owner but because I felt a little uncomfortable as we correspond back and forth via email, I had a friend show the dog - I don't think she recognized the dog at all.

Oh for heaven's sake. There is no AKC rule against it.

If everyone who ever bred to a dog owned by Kendall H or Mary Wiest or the Hyspire Ladies etc. didn't enter under them, those judges would never get an entry.

Grow up! Dog showing is not a giant conspiracy. Unless you are on the show committee and had a hand in hiring the judge, show your dog.

TOTALLY agree!

I mean I see both sides of the argument, and it makes it very difficult for me to even try to show my girl then. The owner of the stud judges at so many shows, most of them in our region. And yes, like the previous poster (the judge) said, if the stud owner produces a lot of puppies she wouldn't know the puppy. When I bred my bitch to her male, there were 3 other females being bred to him that same week. I mean if everyone is seriously going to crucify me and the judge I won't show her, but that's unfair and ridiculous. I am not going to travel to California (the other side of the country) just so I can show under someone who has no ties to my dog. I agree that it is a very tough situation, either way someone looses. If I show her, the judge and I get slandered. But then again if I don't show her that's not fair either. Like I said this judge judge's almost every single show in this region. I might as well spay my puppy and call it a day.

I don't understand - given the 200 mile 30 day limit, how can a judge do Labs at almost every single show in your region? Unless you're talking about Specialties, in which case give it a year. She'll be so over used she won't get asked again for a long time...

AKC BREEDER JUDGE
Oh for heaven's sake. There is no AKC rule against it.

If everyone who ever bred to a dog owned by Kendall H or Mary Wiest or the Hyspire Ladies etc. didn't enter under them, those judges would never get an entry.

Grow up! Dog showing is not a giant conspiracy. Unless you are on the show committee and had a hand in hiring the judge, show your dog.

Finally, a voice of reason!

Thank you so much for posting this. I agree 150%