Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interdiget cyst

would like to get some information on interdiget sores.
I have a large boy, now 6 years who has had sore feet on and off for the past 6 months.
He would get a blister between the toes on the pad, it would bust, he would be better for a while and then it would pop up again.

took him in today and they knocked him out so they could dig around. One foot had a black head type of abscess where once the vet started squeezing the pus came out. She flushed, dug around looking for foreign object but could not find anything.

Surprisingly the other foot had a similar problem up in the web between the toes, a knobby cyst and soreness.

she scrubbed and disinfected well, sent him home with prednisone and cephalexin.

anything else that would help relieve him?
And what are the common causes of this.
he has no other skin issues, ear issues, etc.

Re: interdiget cyst

Oh my remind me not to go to that Vet. If it is an interdigital cyst then it will come back and we would always give him or her Cephalexan. We also will use Epsom Salts soaks to keep it open and draining. If it is between the toes then I would suspect interdital cyst. It will keep coming back especially when it is damp or humid. We also spray it with a spray that keeps them from chewing on it. If it comes back then why would a vet now know about ICs ellie

Just reread your message and, if it is on the pad, that is a different story. The IC can be seen in the crack of where the toe meets the other toe. e

in response to Ellie:

huh?

I am sorry Elli, I did not understand your message and why you would not use this vet?
she lightly put him under so she could really take a look around.
I stated he is on Cephalexin and pred.

This vet said it usually shows with other skin issues but he has nothing else and it only started about a year ago so I was looking for other reasons that may have caused the outbreak.

I was hoping more people would answer this because my dog was just diagnosed with it as well. would love to hear more about it.

try a computer search for Dr. David Duclos, vet dermatologist's article "Pathogenesis of Canine Interdigital Palmar and Plantar Comedones and Follicular Cysts, and Their Response to Laser Surgery."

I had this procedure performed on my chocolate boy and have had good results.

Have your Vet check into Immunoregulin Injections(made by Neogen Corp).The injections are reasonably priced and we are seeing great results in our clinic.