Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
mosquitoes

I've lived in this area my whole life and in this house for 25 years and never had this problem. We have a ton of mosquitoes inside the house. We are killing a dozen or more a day for the past week. We've had lots of rain but I've made sure there is no standing water that I can get rid of (can't do anything about puddles--of course) Dogs are all on heartworm preventive. Any ideas for getting rid of them besides swatting? Mushrooms in the yard and mosquitoes in the house.

Re: mosquitoes

For you to have that many in your home, you had some standing water somewhere inside probably a drain that well, didn't drain well. So you had quite a hatch out it sounds like. Set off bug bombs as to your square footage and you'll be rid of them.

Good luck

Sorry to jump in, am not a breeder but use this site for information, but felt I could help.

We had a similar problem with tiny flies. It turned out they had hatched out in a small amount of water standing in the basement floor drain. Cloroxed the heck out of them followed a couple of hours later with boiling water and another smaller dose of Clorox. No more flies. Felt it was safe to use the Clorox as it was out of reach of the dogs.

Good luck.

Thank you. I think I'll try the bleach. the dogs aren't in the basement and I do hate to expose us all to the pest killer stuff.

Fran
We had a similar problem with tiny flies. It turned out they had hatched out in a small amount of water standing in the basement floor drain. Cloroxed the heck out of them followed a couple of hours later with boiling water and another smaller dose of Clorox. No more flies. Felt it was safe to use the Clorox as it was out of reach of the dogs.

I've no idea if Chlorox would work on mosquitoes, but usually a thin layer of oil (cooking oil) is enough to foil the breather mechanism on the mosquito lava so that they cannot mature into adults