Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding

OK... a friend of mine has a bitch that was 0.8ng on Tue. She was tested again on Thur and was 2.8ng and on Fri the next day she was 5.1ng.
We bred with AI side by side on Sat,Sun, Mon and Tue. They had access to the stud.

So what do you people think? You think she's covered?

Re: Breeding

Yes. Personally, I would have done every other day starting on Saturday. Fresh sperm can live 5+/- days.

A bitch should be bred two days after she has reached 5.0 for her first breeding. Then again two days after that, that would have been plenty.

Any predictions?
OK... a friend of mine has a bitch that was 0.8ng on Tue. She was tested again on Thur and was 2.8ng and on Fri the next day she was 5.1ng.
We bred with AI side by side on Sat,Sun, Mon and Tue. They had access to the stud.

So what do you people think? You think she's covered?

She should be well covered. You did breed days 2 & 4 after 5.1ng but you added days 1 & 3 also. Sperm lives at least 5 days normally. As long as his sperm is in good shape and she's ovulating a normal amount of eggs, there shouldn't be a problem. G.L. to your friend.

What I have been doing is 3 days after 5.0 That is it. So far, all I've had is a lot of puppies. So with your numbers I would have done one breeding on Monday. Your bitch is covered and then some.

Breeder
What I have been doing is 3 days after 5.0 That is it. So far, all I've had is a lot of puppies. So with your numbers I would have done one breeding on Monday. Your bitch is covered and then some.

It worked fine for me for years with fresh, side by side breedings when the stud-dog was within a few hours driving distance. I never tried it with extenders. The breeders I work with today, seem to prefer 2 breedings. They seem to have better success going with days 2 & 4 post 5.0 ng. per ml.

My largest litters came from 1 breeding, day 3 post 5.0 ng.

With shipping and extenders, it might not be the best alternative for some, especially in the heat of the summer.

Whatever works for you & your girls is what's best.

Thanks you guy's for responding :)
I can't wait to get some news in about 3 weeks!!