Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progesterone and trans-cervical insemination>>>>>

Have a female who is being taken care of by a repro vet. He is drawing blood one day and testing the next. Her blood drawn yesterday was tested this morning and 4.18. Not shipping semen til Sat for a Mon breeding and Monday for a Tuesday breeding. Both trans-cervically bred... This seems a bit late??? Any other ideas. She progressed from .87 on day 7 to 1.82 day 9, then 2.87 day 11, now day 12 4.18, all samples were drawn the day before being tested??? I have never heard of that?? TIA

Re: Progesterone and trans-cervical insemination>>>>>

As long as she is over 5 by friday( and it seems like that is the assumption) than the breedings are right on schedule.I would pull another progesterone to make sure. If it were my bitch I would breed her monday and wednesday.
Most of the progesterones get pulled the day before and sent to the lab and are tested the following day first thing in the morning, unless your vet has a contract for same day testing that is how it's done.

Thanks Tiffany for your advice. Guess I am afraid to miss her. Figure Friday ovulation, Sun/ Tues. perfect, but Mon/ Tuesday will do!! :) I was just thinking with a trans cervical done Sat/ Monday, no need for the sperm to do much, but fertilize as they will be deposited right in though the cervix.... No swimming needed...

The Monday breeding is right on, Tuesday breeding.....well....many repro vets would recommend anything past day three is marginal at best.
I always wonder why vets who call themselves "repro vets" don't have their own progesterone equipment. To use a "repro vet" and accept next day results, what can I say!

Hmm... If she was 4.18 on Thursday morning, I would bet she passed 5 sometime that same day. If that's the case, I'd breed Saturday and Monday.

Gregg
The Monday breeding is right on, Tuesday breeding.....well....many repro vets would recommend anything past day three is marginal at best.
I always wonder why vets who call themselves "repro vets" don't have their own progesterone equipment. To use a "repro vet" and accept next day results, what can I say!

I use a regular vet who gets same day results from Idexx. They call Idexx, let them know they have a pick up for same day results as long as it's ready by 11 in the morning. I have results by 5 in the afternoon. I'm on EST, not sure if that matters.

Any vet can work with Idexx the same way and I've read about others that have done the same. I'm only charged $80 for the same day result blood draw. All of the other vets local to me charge between $110 and $150 for next day results with Idexx or Antech. Repro vets are a distance from me. With same day results, at this price done by Idexx I'm quite content.