Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progesterone 4.7 today (Sat), breed Tuesday?

Hi, I have another post where progesterone was hanging at 1.1, well 2 days later and we are 4.7 so presume she'll ovulate today which is Saturday. If stud owner ships fresh chill on Monday and we do surgical insemination first thing Tuesday, do you think we'll be OK?

Re: Progesterone 4.7 today (Sat), breed Tuesday?

Because she stalled at 1.1 for so long I would be doing another test today if possible. When you say she was 4.7today, do yo mean on blood drawn today, or on blood drawn yesterday with results today?

I agree with breeder. Test once more. Never stop and presume she didn't stall. You should always want to see 5 ng. per ml. or higher.

breeder
Because she stalled at 1.1 for so long I would be doing another test today if possible. When you say she was 4.7today, do yo mean on blood drawn today, or on blood drawn yesterday with results today?

Blood drawn at 7:00 am today with results back by noon.

Can't draw progesterone tomorrow being Sunday and vet is closed. If I wait for stud owner to ship before I have magic "5" it may well be too late. He needs to ship before 12 noon on Monday and I won't have results from Monday am draw back by then.

I guess we'll just have him ship and see. Stud owner and vet are afraid we'll miss her by doing insemination on Tuesday. They want to draw progesterone Monday to see if it's to late and not put bitch through the surgical.

I think I'll just have them do surgical on Tuesday. I never missed years ago before doing progesterone - always bred day 11 and 14 and always had large litters. The weekend always gets in the way when you rely on progesterone :(

For what its worth my surgical AI - last prog. was 4.7 and repro said no need for amother.

Did the surgical and only had 3 pups. (uterus in excellent condition)

Not sure if she stalled or if she just did not drop enough eggs.

Stud collected by same repro vet and checked prior to AI.

I know this girls history and she never stalled in the past but who knows.

If you can get another prog. I would do it.

Good luck with the breeding.

Concerned brdr
breeder

Blood drawn at 7:00 am today with results back by noon.

Can't draw progesterone tomorrow being Sunday and vet is closed. If I wait for stud owner to ship before I have magic "5" it may well be too late. He needs to ship before 12 noon on Monday and I won't have results from Monday am draw back by then.

I guess we'll just have him ship and see. Stud owner and vet are afraid we'll miss her by doing insemination on Tuesday. They want to draw progesterone Monday to see if it's to late and not put bitch through the surgical.

I think I'll just have them do surgical on Tuesday. I never missed years ago before doing progesterone - always bred day 11 and 14 and always had large litters. The weekend always gets in the way when you rely on progesterone :(

They may not be wrong, you could be running late for Tuesday although surgicals are done a little later than chilled AI's. It also could be early if she stalled at 4.7.

If I were in your shoes, I would run the progesterone Monday morning so you don't open her up for no reason. You have a repro vet for a reason, I would take his advice and the stud dog owner sound like he knows what he's doing too.

It's your call, your bitch and hopefully your upcoming litter.

Concerned brdr

My vet always does a surgical (fresh or frozen) 3 days after 5.0. I can't imagine Tuesday would be too late. If anything, it may be early.

If she ovulated at 5.0 Saturday at noon, my vet would do the surgical Tuesday at noon. If I were you, I'd have the semen shipped Monday for Tuesday and also redraw Monday morning. She will probably be around 12-15 ng/mL which is perfect for a next-day surgical.

Good luck!

10 pups today! 6 girls, 4 boys. Lovely little Christmas gifts :)

Congrats! So happy for you.

Did you do another progesterone or run with the 4.7?

Please let us know when you have time.

We went with the 4.7. Then on top of that the shipment looked poor with only about 30% motility which they then spun down prior to insemination. We sure are thankful for 10 happy/healthy pups! Was not the ideal breeding situation all the way around. First time we've dealt with the weekend getting in the way of progesterone draws and shipping.

Due to the technological advantages we now have, many people are only doing one breeding. One breeding is all that is necessary if everything goes right. Because of this, I am starting to see stud dog owners try to talk me into a single shipment.

The thing is, "if everything goes right" is an important part of the equation. Therefore, I am much more comfortable getting a breeding done pretty much as soon as reasonable after ovulation and then another two days later. If you just do one, it is best to do it later and then if something goes wrong it is too late. If you do two, you can do one during the early part of the window and then you do another while the window is still open. You are covered if everything does not go right with either shipment. You have also covered the bitch who doesn't read the textbook and moves along faster or slower than average.

In the case of negotiating a weekend as in the breeding from this thread, a single breeding may be the only choice. It is good to know that even if everything doesn't go perfectly, we can still get it done a high percentage of the time.

OP

We went with the 4.7. Then on top of that the shipment looked poor with only about 30% motility which they then spun down prior to insemination. We sure are thankful for 10 happy/healthy pups! Was not the ideal breeding situation all the way around. First time we've dealt with the weekend getting in the way of progesterone draws and shipping.

single breeding
Due to the technological advantages we now have, many people are only doing one breeding. One breeding is all that is necessary if everything goes right. Because of this, I am starting to see stud dog owners try to talk me into a single shipment.

The thing is, "if everything goes right" is an important part of the equation. Therefore, I am much more comfortable getting a breeding done pretty much as soon as reasonable after ovulation and then another two days later. If you just do one, it is best to do it later and then if something goes wrong it is too late. If you do two, you can do one during the early part of the window and then you do another while the window is still open. You are covered if everything does not go right with either shipment. You have also covered the bitch who doesn't read the textbook and moves along faster or slower than average.

In the case of negotiating a weekend as in the breeding from this thread, a single breeding may be the only choice. It is good to know that even if everything doesn't go perfectly, we can still get it done a high percentage of the time.

OP

Those stud dog owners are right.

Every time we've done 1 breeding we don't miss and don't wind up with small litters. It's all in the progesterone testing done right and then the timing being correct.

FYI, If you use IDEXX, your vet can request same day results. IDEXX picks up before noon and your vet will have results by 5 o'clock. Too many vets aren't aware of this option with IDEXX. All they have to do is call and ask.

In the last 5 years, we've had 1 shipment lost in a snow storm, 1 routed to the wrong flight and ended up in the wrong part of the country, 1 poor quality collection (received and AI'd), and 1 family problem of a stud owner which caused a delay in shipment... The last 3 were planned single shipment breedings and each bitch missed. The first 1 was a 2 shipment breeding where the first shipment was lost but the second shipment came through and we had 8 pups.

Admittedly, this was a streak of bad luck because the previous 10 years before the unlucky streak we only had 2 misses and those were due to the same bitch who we learned needed to be bred earlier than the textbook says (and we never missed after that). Each of the recent misses were bred the next season successfully so the world did not end.

But I still maintain that if everything goes right, 1 breeding is just fine. But planning 2 shipments is smart because of the potential for things to go wrong. Besides, with stud fees as high as they have become, I feel no guilt asking the stud owner to ship twice.

Always

Those stud dog owners are right.

Every time we've done 1 breeding we don't miss and don't wind up with small litters. It's all in the progesterone testing done right and then the timing being correct.

FYI, If you use IDEXX, your vet can request same day results. IDEXX picks up before noon and your vet will have results by 5 o'clock. Too many vets aren't aware of this option with IDEXX. All they have to do is call and ask.