Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy frequently urinating

I have a 10.5 week old male puppy that is frequently urinating all over the place. He is being crate trained and has accidents in the crate along with when he is outside of the crate. I took him to the vet for a possible bladder or kidney infection and he was put on Clavamox but this has not helped the situation. He seems excessively thirsty also. I would appreciate any thoughts on the situation. TIA

Re: Puppy frequently urinating

Since the clavamox is not helping, you might want to have the vet run a kidney/liver function test and CBC. Labs can be born with kidney issues, you would see elevated BUN and maybe anemia if it was something like renal dysplasia (I had a puppy with it). There is also a gene test for renal dysplasia, better than confirming it by biopsy, by Dogenes, Inc.

Any chance this is a management issue? How often does the pup get taken outside to potty? Was he is a clean environment before you got him (sorry, it isn't clear if you are the breeder or bought the puppy). Have you actually measured the amount he drinks in a day? Sometimes I have thought water intake was excessive, but when measured it was a normal amount.

Or maybe the bacteria are just immune to that antibiotic.

Good luck and please keep us updated when you get a diagnosis.

Another possibility is an ectopic ureter -
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/incont.aspx

While I'm sure it is possible, I have never seen or heard of a ectopic ureter in a boy.

You would need to get a culture and sensitivity test where they grow the bacteria and find out exactly which antibiotic to use. Each much easier to use a broad-spectrum antibiotic, but it doesn't always do the trick.

Good luck! It's hard enough toilet training a little pup without him having a UTI as well!

Here's another thought. What are you feeding? I wonder if it's excessively salty?????

I have had an eptopic ureter in a male. We had him on antibiotics for a month and then decided to go forward with the ultrasound. He had one ureter disconnected. We opted for surgery, but was pricey. Does it leak while he is sleeping? It is uncontrolable, so would not blame on him until you know it's not a medical issue.

Isn't this normal. Puppies have to potty after every nap, after playing, eating, drinking, just because they feel like it? I don't think you can expect them to "hold it" until several months old. Even during the night if we are crating a new puppy it is up once or twice to go out and then back to sleep. Like having a baby you have to give up a little sleep. How long is the puppy expected to be in the crate without being let out to potty? I would try taking it out more often to begin with, like every 30 min. We litter box train our litters and by 4-5 weeks they will go potty in the box while inside 90% of the time. They will play, run around, run potty and then back to playing. I am just not seeing this as abnormal

I have never had a 10 weeks old pup that could not make it through the night in a crate. You really have to get up once or twice to take a 10 week old out? Never had to do that.

normal?
Isn't this normal. Puppies have to potty after every nap, after playing, eating, drinking, just because they feel like it? I don't think you can expect them to "hold it" until several months old. Even during the night if we are crating a new puppy it is up once or twice to go out and then back to sleep. Like having a baby you have to give up a little sleep.

As the owner of a new puppy who really wanted to get the toilet training right. We picked up our pup at 8 weeks of age and soon found that she was rummaging around in her crate at 5 am. In order to keep her from making a mess, I would get up and take her outside. The crate remained dry and after two weeks of this, I was getting sleep deprived! A vet friend told me that she should be able to hold it and to get some ear plugs and ignore her until the morning. She was ten weeks old by then. We put her crate in the kitchen so that I wouldn't disturb her (with my own potty breaks) and she wouldn't disturb us. She didn't cry at all, and it turned out that she could hold it for NINE HOURS, AND the crate was clean - yippee!!!!